University warns students of coronavirus travel risks over Easter holidays

Students are being asked to think carefully about their travel over the Easter holidays as concerns about the coronavirus outbreak increase.

By Benjamin Salmon, Deputy News Editor

University management have told students 'the decision to travel is ultimately yours'

The University have advised against travel to heavily affected areas – China, Iran, South Korea and Italy – and have stated that anyone returning from these areas will need to stay in doors and avoid contact with other people for 14 days upon their return.

In a statement, the University also advised that students who have traveled to heavily affected areas be in the UK at least 14 days before their first exam, in case they have to self-isolate.

They have stressed that ‘the decision to travel is ultimately yours, but please make sure that you are well informed and have valid travel insurance before travelling.’

The University is still not advising students to return home before the end of term, in line with official guidance from Public Health England.

The announcement comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially labels the coronavirus outbreak as a 'pandemic'.

Students who are concerned that they may have been exposed to the virus should call NHS's 111 service and seek guidance on their next steps before returning to Bristol.

To see the University's coronovirus advice in full, see here.

Featured image: Unsplash / Ashim D'Silva

Are you worried about you Easter travel plans? Let us know!