Football: UBAFC win Western 1A

Bristol’s first team have won the Western 1A League after a 1-0 victory away to Southampton 1s. The team will enter the promotion play-offs in a bid to cap off an impressive season that has seen them win the title with one game to spare.

By Eddie McAteer, Student Sports Correspondent

UBAFC sit at the top of the Western 1A table, ten points ahead of second placed Southampton. Even with a game in hand, Southampton can no longer catch their West Country rivals. Bristol’s record is impressive, winning six of their nine games and only losing once all season. To have won the title so convincingly is ‘testament to the hard work the team has put in this year’ according to club captain, Joe Williams.

The team’s success is, at least in part, down to their outstanding goalscoring and defensive records this season. They have scored 21 goals so far in the league and only conceded seven, as well as being awarded a 3-0 walkover against Marjon 1s. Ultimately, when a team is scoring as freely as this, whilst conceding so few (the most they conceded in one game was three) you are bound to see results. Vice-Captain Matt Hinks has been a huge part of the team’s goalscoring prowess, contributing nine goals in all competitions, including the winner against Southampton.

UBAFC have been in impressive form all season

Joe Williams also said that the team will now turn their focus to ‘the upcoming play-offs so the football team can finally break through to the premiership’. After reaching the play-offs last season but losing out to Chichester, the 1s will surely be desperate to make amends as soon as possible. Their home game against UWE 1s should be a good way to maintain the team’s focus and allow them to fully prepare for their crucial play-off matches.

In addition to the play-offs, they are still in the hunt for national cup glory after reaching the quarter finals. They will face St Mary’s 1s following their dramatic 3-2 extra-time win against Cambridge, although the details are still to be decided.

A huge congratulations are in order for the team, their captain Will Gale and manager Alan Tyers, who have all worked incredibly hard to have such a successful season so far. With any luck UBAFC will be a premiership team by the end of the year as well as cup holders.

Featured: UoB Men's Football

Will you be watching the play-off battle?