University of Bristol student taken to hospital following concern over 'flu-like symptoms'

A resident of Wills Hall was taken to hospital earlier today after feeling unwell with 'flu-like symptoms'.

By Maddy Russell, News Editor and Imogen Horton, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Students have been reassured that there is 'no cause for alarm' after a first year student was taken in to hospital.

Ambulances and medics in hazmet suits were seen at Wills hall earlier this afternoon.

The University says the student has been taken to hospital as a precaution and that they are working closely with Public Health England to monitor the situation and support the student.

This comes following the news that the World Health Organisation has declared a global emergency following the spread of Coronavirus outside China.

Ambulances were spotted outside Wills Hall 

In an email to students, Alison Gold-Wright, Deputy Director of Student Services, said that the University will provide further updates as they become available but that 'there is no cause for alarm'.

Bristol University has also sent an email to students in Stoke Bishop giving guidance on how to protect themselves against potential infection from the Corona Virus.

Students at Wills Hall have told Epigram that the student in question returned to Bristol from Shanghai three days ago.

A first year medical student at Wills Hall, told Epigram that a lot of students in the hall of residence were 'scared' after ambulances and biohazard suits had been spotted.

'It was all people could talk about at dinner. Although it's unlikely to be serious, we're all just nervously waiting to hear from the University again.'  

In response to the news, a spokesperson for the University of Bristol said: 'A student with flu-like symptoms has been taken to hospital as a precaution. We are working closely with Public Health England (PHE) and will continue to monitor the situation and support this student.

'We are communicating directly with staff and students, whose health and safety is our top priority.'

If students have any concerns or need support they should contact the North Village Residential life team on 0117 428 3300.

Featured Image: Epigram/ Imogen Horton

Are you in Wills Hall? Let us know!