Engineering Maths to receive own building on campus

The EngMaths department is taking over the old Maths Building, after the Maths department moved across to the newly renovated Fry Building.

By Patrick Sullivan, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In an email to all Engineering Mathematics students on 15 October, it was confirmed that the department would be moving into their own building later in the academic year.

After the Maths department moved into the new Fry Building in September, their old building on University Walk by Royal Fort Gardens became vacant. The University of Bristol has now allocated the space to the EngMaths department.

The old Maths Building will be assigned to Engineering Maths | Epigram / Patrick Sullivan

The assignment means that the Faculty of Engineering now has three buildings on the Clifton campus: Queen’s Building, Merchant Venturers Building, and now the Maths Building. The faculty consists of 3,548 students, compared to 4,772 in the Faculty of Arts and 7,768 in the Faculty of Social Sciences & Law.

In his email, Head of Engineering Mathematics, Professor Anthony Mulholland, said ‘the move provides an opportunity for the department to define a clear vision and strategy for its future’.

‘The new space also provides opportunities for hosting activities that will produce new, mutually beneficial research and teaching collaborations. In particular, full use will be made of the lecture rooms and adjacent break-out space to bring new groups of researchers together and facilitate co-production of research outcomes.

‘This enhancement of the breadth of interdisciplinary collaborations will also further enrich the student learning experience. The department will be the primary occupant of the building and this will promote the visibility of Engineering Mathematics to colleagues across the University.  This will be key in attracting new collaborators to the activities that the building will facilitate.’

Featured Image: Epigram / Patrick Sullivan

Do you think the University make the most out of its facilities? Let us know!