Feature/ HUBB RECORDS: The Student Run Record Label

Meet HUBB RECORDS, Bristol’s brand-new record label that comes with an exciting twist – it’s run by students. Epigram Music caught up with the creators of the label, discussing their diverse roster of acts and ambitious plans for the future.

By Guy Marcham, Deputy Music Editor

In previous years at BIMM Bristol, the academic year would end with the physical release of a compilation album. A cluster of all the best artists and bands that the college had to offer. A fleeting chance for an act to record and release their very own song. Yet, just last year a selection of students decided to do something slightly different.

Perhaps fed up with lack of long-term support and artistic development, the simple and old school physical copy compilation album was ditched for something more radical and fit for purpose. HUBB Records was as a result formed. A student run and organised record label especially for BIMM Bristol students, giving bands and artists vital experience of how a label works and the beneficial support network that can be gained.

Since its first year, the label and its creators have grown in experience and size. The label have steadily advanced from their initial learning curve period and are now more than ready to take the Bristol music scene by storm and bring a jam packed collection of BIMM artists to our attention. One of the label’s creators, Music Business and Organisation student Miriam Ryska, gleefully boasts that those behind the label now know ‘how best it works’.

The label has not only increased its number of musical artists and bands but also its behind the scenes organisational team. The label now contains a series of individually focused teams that work on a wide range of areas such as marketing, social media and recording.

Inside peek into the recording of folk singer songwriter Ellie Gowers' upcoming single

With the organisational side of HUBB records becoming ever more professional and experienced. The musical output of the label is also looking extremely promising. Around 80 Bristol and BIMM based acts applied to be a part of the label and the DIY culture organically forming around it this year. A hotly contested and competitive process for one of the most valuable label opportunities for upcoming student bands in the Bristol area. With a greater pool of bands and artists to choose from, the creators behind HUBB Records could afford to carefully pick their acts. Therefore, creating a diverse line-up of musicians whose music warrants being heard, managing to see off fierce competition on the basis of their very own music and undisputable talent. This year will see around 11 bands and artists release brand new singles as part of the label.

HUBB Records’ most recent cohort of musicians as a result contains some of the best upcoming talent from around Bristol and BIMM. The Belishas strike a politically aware and stylistic pose as they craft sprightly indie pop bangers for Converse and denim laden teenagers - in a sound reminiscent of a streamlined and polished Libertines. The glitchy sparkle of Sin Amor represents a more introspective and alternative side to the label, with their hauntingly beautiful atmospherics and falsettos striking a darker edge.

Volume II Artists - We Present ⠀ Musical education & emotional intelligence: we present, @sinamorofficial This Bristol based electronic trio has a fine ear for Indie-Pop sensibilities knitted alongside glitchy rhythms. Through the acquainted harmony of ambient and electronic sounds, SIN AMOR with Charlie fronting it, weaves rich tapestries of sound, extraordinarily gifted with moody and pleasant aftertastes.⠀ The dark and haunting lyrical imagery is presented alongside surreal and catchy melodies, reminiscent of Bon Iver. The trio's heartfelt personality, arises from a strong understanding of the fragility of the human soul. The seasoned combination of ambient mystery and ethereal sounds, powerfully enhance the transporting and evocative virtuosity and piercing sensations. - - #recordlabel #music #Bristol #UK #artists #singles #releases

A post shared by HUBB Records (@hubbrecords) on

This can be contrasted to the chirpy and likeable dance grooves of multi-instrumentalist Gabriel Templar whose music can neatly sit between the likes of Rex Orange County and Sam Fender. A perfect soundtrack to a warm summer’s day. Templar even performed at this year’s momentous Glastonbury Festival – so is a definite name to look out for in the future.

The label is also proud to support musical diversity within its ranks –unafraid to a shine a light on the more obscured sub genres. Alternative metal band, Liquid State, cut through razor sharp riffs to create a monstrous and heavy wall of sound. A glistening set of female vocals help incorporate a melodic and polished shine to the bands scorching blast of heavy metal. A sound not for the faint hearted.

Alternative metal band Liquid State in the studio/ HUBB Records

Already the label has set its sights to the future and a potential international audience. HUBB have been in contact with other like-minded labels from across the globe, in a bid to expand their reach and list of contacts. This includes fellow student-run not for profit record label, Vermillion Records, from Queensland University in Brisbane, Australia. Perhaps a hotbed for DIY run record labels with the Courtney Barnett’s Milk! Records too hailing from Australia. But first, HUBB Records aims at promoting its exciting roster of musicians both in and around BIMM and the wider Bristol music scene.

An exciting prospect for new and upcoming musicians in the city. A label that hopes to not only be a stepping stone for musicians and students to work in the music industry but a viable and international brand, fostering and nurturing some of the best talent straight from Bristol. This coming year is sure to be their most exciting year yet.

Check out Hubb Records here - https://www.facebook.com/HUBBRECORDS/ and https://twitter.com/hubb_records