Cannabis café to open on Whiteladies Road

Mary Jane’s, a cannabis café, will open on Whiteladies Road tommorow, Friday 31 May.

By Maggie Sawant, Students’ Union Correspondent

Customers will be able to order coffees and smoothies which contain CBD.

From 8am on Friday morning, customers will be able to order coffees, smoothies and milkshakes laced with CBD, a compound found in cannabis plants.

CBD is said to relieve chronic pain and inflammation, insomnia, depression and anxiety. It has also proven effective in treating epileptic seizures.

The World Health Organisation also suggests that it may be able to treat Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis and cancer. However, little clinical research has been carried out regarding its safety and efficacy.

CBD is legal in the UK, provided it has been derived from an EU-approved industrial hemp strain.

Jon Antoniou, Mary Jane's founder has said that when CBD's usually 'earthy taste' is infused with coffee 'it tastes amazing'.

'Having tried various CBD products on the market I felt that there must be a better way to take it daily than on its own.

'Bristol is a real hub for healthy living and we want our products to reflect that so whether you’re gluten, lactose or nut intolerant or just believe that veganism isn’t just for January, we have options for you.'

CBD does not contain THC, the principle psychoactive component of cannabis, therefore it will not get users 'high'.

The café will also offer a range of locally made vegan foods, cakes and drinks not containing CBD, with a focus on catering for vegans, people with other dietary restrictions and the health-conscious.

Mary Jane's is ensuring that sustainability is 'at the forefront of  decision making', and shop manager Jazz Prince has said 'we are all striving to look after not only our customers but our planet as well'.

'You can see this in everything we do in our shop, from our ethical product sourcing and plant-based compostable take away cups, to our energy suppliers who power our coffee machines with 100% renewable electricity.'

Featured Image: Instagram / @maryjanesjava

Will you be visiting Mary Jane's? Let us know!