BME Officer given official warning over 'anti-Semitic' comments

BME officer Omar Chowdhury has been allowed to remain in his role following an investigation by the SU into alleged anti-Semitism.

An independent report, commissioned by the SU, has found that BME officer Omar Chowdhury should be able to remain in his role, despite confirmation that his comments were anti-Semitic.

The news comes following reports that Chowdhury told a Jewish student, Izzy Posen, to 'be like Israel and cease to exist', during an argument in the comment section of Bristruths.

Bristol SU issued a series of recommendations to Chowdhury regarding his conduct and the SU has agreed to develop a plan with him to ensure that he fully abides to the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism in future.

In an apology for his comments, Chowdhury said that he took 'reponsibility' for his words and that it was now his job to show that he could, and will, work with Jewish students to represent them.

He stated: 'I wholeheartedly apologise to Izzy Posen, Jewish students at the university, and the wider Jewish community for these ignorant and offensive comments. These comments were anti-Semitic and unacceptable.

'I regret my words and I am disappointed in myself for contributing to the hostile environment that is faced by Jewish people at university and in society.

'Over the last two weeks, I have already begun efforts to educate myself on antisemitism and I have learned a lot just in this small timeframe. I want to continue to grow my understanding of antisemitism and the different forms it takes and will undertake antisemitism training as part of this.

'I will do everything I can to show that these comments do not represent my character and commit to creating a more welcoming environment for minorities in the work I do next year, starting with myself.'

The SU confirmed that it was committed to tackling racism and anti-Semitism in all forms and said that it was imperative that all its elected representatives engaged with Jewish students to better understand the challenges they face.

Featured image: Epigram/ Cameron Scheijde

What do you think of the outcome of the investigation? Let us know below!

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter // Instagram