Bristol student arrested in Extinction Rebellion protests

A philosophy student from the University of Bristol was arrested yesterday for a protest that halted DLR services.

By Imogen Horton, News Editor

Luke Watson was arrested yesterday for climbing on top of a train at Canary Wharf station during an Extinction Rebellion protest.

Police had to use harnesess to bring Watson, and fellow protestor Cathy Eastburn down from the top of the train. A third activist, Mark Ovland, was also arrested for gluing himself to the train.

The philosophy student pleaded not guilty at Highbury Corner magistrates court yesterday, however was charged with obstructing trains or carriages on the railway by an unlawful act, contrary to section 36 of the Malicious Damage Act 1861.

Watson has also been denied bail and will be remanded in custody for a month before appearing at Blackfriars crown court on 16 May. He could face a prison sentence of up to two years.

Roisin Moyle, Policy and Campaigns Assistant at Bristol SU, was also arrested yesterday at Oxford Circus after she locked herself to the boat.

The protests are currently in their fourth day and more action is planned for tomorrow, with protestors threatining to disrupt flights over the Easter weekend.

So far over 400 people have been arrested in connection with the Extinction Rebellion protest, which started on Monday.

Yesterday, the University of Bristol declared a climate emergency, becoming the first UK university to do so.

Featured Image: Twitter / Nick Codling

Have you been part of the protest? Let us know!