Bristol students in second Parliament takeover for a People's Vote

The 29th of March is fast approaching, yet our members of parliament have consistently failed to come up with a clear and coherent plan that protects our futures

By Amy Heley, Green Soc co-president

Disclaimer: the views expressed here are not representative of Epigram's opinions, which remains a neutral publication.

Our MPs have yet again failed to sort out this Brexit mess. Now more than ever, young people must stand up for our futures because unfortunately, those in power aren’t doing it for us. That is why Our Future, Our Choice are organising our biggest lobby day ever to get hundreds of young people, including lots of Bristol Students, to come down to the Houses of Parliament to tell their MP that the only way out of this mess is a People's Vote.

Nobody could predict that we’d still be in this mess with barely 1 month to go until the Brexit date. The 29th of March is fast approaching, yet our members of parliament have consistently failed to come up with a clear and coherent plan that protects our futures. Theresa May is deliberately running down the Brexit clock, so that she can use the threat of a disastrous ‘No Deal’ to force MPs to vote for her deal.

In the last week alone, 8 labour MPs and 3 Conservative MPs quit their respective parties, and formed a new parliamentary group, Honda announced the closing of their Swindon plant which threatens thousands of jobs, and Theresa May went back to Brussels yet again for more hopeless ‘negotiations’.

Amongst the chaos, for the 75 per cent of young people that voted remain in 2016, one thing remains clear: the best deal for young people, for the environment, and for workers’ and migrants’ rights is the one we have now, as full members of the European Union. These are just some of the reasons why we desperately need a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal.

On the 27th of February, myself and other students from Bristol will join hundreds of other young people from across the UK in a Parliament Takeover. It is your democratic right to walk into the Houses of Parliament and ask to see your MP. Anyone can fill out a Green slip at reception in Central lobby, and your MP has a duty to come down and meet you. This little-known rule is perfect for speaking to your MP and forcing them to answer the tough questions about Brexit. There will also be pro-People's Vote MPs who are going to come down and meet us before we start lobbying our MPs - it is an amazing opportunity to meet some of the most important politicians shaping and standing up for our future. Caroline Lucas David Lammy, and Jo Swinson are all rumoured to be in attendance. We will also be holding a social afterwards so you can meet the other brilliant young activists who have been fighting for a People's Vote.

A people’s vote remains the only option out of the Brexit deadlock. Furthermore, those that were 16 and 17 during the referendum in 2016 were denied a voice in their futures. Now that they are of voting age, it is only fair that they now have a say on the final deal. We also have a better idea of what ‘Brexit’ really means now. What was promised in 2016 cannot be delivered, so with that in mind, it is vital that the proposed deal goes back to the people to decide the direction of our country. Considering all this- we now have no other option but to SHOW UP! We have exhausted all other options: we must now go into Parliament and lobby our MPs ourselves.

So, come along on the 27th February! If you cannot, make sure you join the Put it To The People March on Saturday the 23rd March. Make sure you are on the right side of history. Whatever happens, you can say you were there fiercely campaigning for the public to have a final say and to stay in the EU.

Bristol Students are participating in the Parliament Takeover as part of the wider Breaking Down Brexit campaign at Bristol SU. For more information on the campaign, visit: https://www.bristolsu.org.uk/brexit

Featured image: Twitter / @OFOCBrexit

Will you be taking part in the march? Let us know...