Ski spots in the Alps

Izzy Green, in collaboration with the Foreign Office, gathers the best advice on how to ski in style this season.

By Izzy Green Fourth year, French and Spanish

Fancy a ski getaway in the Alps this season? I asked 3 of our amazing Bristol students to recommend the perfect trips for you; from a crazy après scene to a family holiday, we’ve got you covered.

As a Student Brand Ambassador for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Travel Aware Campaign this year, I also have some top tips of how to stay safe on the slopes - so bear these in mind before heading off!

Lucy, a medical student, has all the best advice for a wild ski trip in the formidable Val Thorens:

“You can start off by grabbing a box of the best noodles in Europe from Wokski and then jump on the lift for a day of racing your pals up and down the slopes. When you finally make it to town, it’s straight to Café Snesko, the town’s legendary Danish bar, where everyone goes straight from the slopes into English sing-along classics. Next, it’s across to Panda for a pizza and yet more après vibes that quickly turns into a night-club, so careful to ditch the salopettes, or else you’ll find yourself sweating it out in Val Thoren’s legendary (literally) underground house music club, Malaysia - the best place to end your night.”

Val Thorens is, pretty obviously, a great choice if you’re looking for a boozy holiday with mates. But, from my experience, it’s super important to stay aware of what you’re drinking – because of the altitude, you get drunker, much quicker... so be careful on the slopes, and be aware that your insurance cover may be void if you have an accident while drunk!

izzyy-1-2
Epigram / Izzy Green

Amber, studying Modern Languages, recommends Morzine for a more chilled, family-style skiing adventure:

“I’ve been going to Morzine since I was about 8 years old and my family and I have gone back every year since. About an hour away from Geneva airport, Morzine is the perfect destination for a family holiday with so many places to go and things to do in a relatively small resort. My favourite restaurants off the mountain would have to be Restaurant L'Étale and Le Clin d’Oeuil. The Dixie Bar and The Tibetan Café are great bars if you’re up for après. When you’re up the mountain you definitely have to try Vaffieu, a family owned business with great wine and even better food! Finally, if you’re in Morzine and don’t have your own ski gear, then I highly recommend you go to Gravier Ski Shop. Another family owned business where you will be guaranteed top gear and amazing service.”

So, look no further than Morzine for a fantastic holiday with the family. If you’re wondering whether you should grab yourself a helmet from the ski shop, make sure you check your insurance policy, as some require that you wear a helmet on the slopes – make sure you look this up before heading out on piste!

Looking for a super chic ski holiday? Natasha, a Politics undergraduate, tells us that Verbier is the best bet:

“If you’re looking for a classy skiing getaway, Verbier is definitely the place to be. The beautiful village, hidden away in the Swiss alps, is filled with luxurious ski wear and jewellery shops. The resort itself, being so vast, caters to all skiing abilities, from beginners to advanced. The cosy chalet hotel, La Cordée des Alpes, is the perfect place to stay whilst in Verbier providing a door to door service from the hotel to the slopes. The spa and afternoon tea served in the hotel are excellent ways to end your day skiing. If you’re looking for a fondue in the evening, Le Caveau is a must. The W hotel, a modern twist on a chalet, in the heart of the village is a great spot for cocktails, nibbles and a great atmosphere.”

If you’re looking for a family holiday, or a classy ski and spa break, I really recommend getting a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – it’s completely free and means if you were to have an accident you could be treated in a hospital for the same price as another citizen of that country. Trust me, accidents do happen – in my case soberly tripping down the ski chalet stairs..!

Feeling ready to head off skiing to one of these amazing Alpine resorts? Do your research and take advantage of the travel checklists on the FCO’s #SkiSafe page before heading off. It has great info on insurance (which is super important for skiing) but also for ski tips and tricks from former GB Olympic Skier, Graham Bell.
Featured Image: Izzy Green/ Epigram

Do you have a favourite ski destination? Let us know!

Instagram // Twitter // Facebook