IKEA costume party planned by new society

A group of Bristol students have launched an Ikea Society, aimed at all lovers of the Swedish self-assembly furniture brand.

By Maddy Russell, Second Year Politics and International Relations

The society, which describes itself as a ‘fun, friendly society for furniture enthusiasts’ has seen over 250 members join its Facebook group within the last few weeks.

Members of the society are invited to join a monthly Ikea trip and to partake in a ‘cheeky’ lunch of the company’s famous Swedish-style meatballs.

An Ikea themed costume party has also been planned for December 6, at the White Harte pub. Students attending the event are encouraged to come wearing the company’s signature blue and yellow brand colours.

In a statement to Epigram, Toby Maddock, president of the society said: ‘It all sort of spiraled really. It started after we had a Bristruth posted and that sort of kicked it all off.

‘We don’t know exactly what the society is about at the moment, to be honest. Initially it was a bit of a joke and now we have 250 plus members and a social planned for next week.’

Featured image: Sam Greenhalgh / Flickr

What other niche societies should be set up at the University? Let us know below!

Facebook // Epigram // Twitter // Instagram