Join us on Friday 30 November 2018 as we march through the streets of Bristol to campaign against gender-based violence and gender inequality.
This year we will celebrate the fifth Reclaim the Night march, walking through the streets of Bristol, making as much noise as we possibly can.
Why are we marching?
- Ministry of Justice figures tell us that 1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) in the UK has experienced some form of sexual violence.
- The NUS Hidden Marks Report (2010) found that more than one third of women students reported feeling unsafe when visiting their university or college building in the evening.
- The report also found that 1 in 7 women had experienced a serious physical or sexual assault during their time at university.
- A 2014 survey that asked about women’s’ experiences on Clifton Triangle found that only half felt safe getting home at night.
- More found that 73% of women fear rape, and almost half avoid going out at night due to fears over their safety.
Image: Bristol SU
What the night will involve
Meet in Queen Square at 6.30pm. The march will begin at 7pm. Bring banners, instruments, and a warm coat! Together we will march through the streets of Bristol.
We will head towards the Richmond Building, where Bristol SU's Anson Rooms will play host to speakers and stalls from various local organisations. The event will then culminate in an evening of speeches, performances and more! This will showcase and celebrate the work of the exceptional and diverse women of Bristol.
We welcome the participation and support of individuals of all genders, however we ask that the front rows of the march are reserved for women, non- binary and marginalised genders.
Please note that the event may include mentions of or reference to rape, assault, domestic violence, abuse and other forms of sexual violence. Should you need to leave the space at any moment there are sofas in the foyer of the Richmond Building where you are welcome to take a moment to yourself.
What else can I get involved with?
Reclaim: Life Drawing Workshop – Join the Women’s Network and the Fine Art Society as we reclaim our bodies through a fantastic evening of life drawing. Thursday 22 November, 5-7pm.
Banner Making – Join us to make banners for the Reclaim the Night march on Tuesday 27 November.
Image: Bristol SU
The Womens' Network provides an opportunity for all self-identifying female students to socialise, campaign and discuss Womens' issues at Bristol. You can join the Women’s Network at any point throughout the year to stay up to date with relevant forums, socials, events and campaigns.
Featured Image: Bristol SU