News2024Bristol SU

SU 2024 Elections results: meet the new Full-Time Officers

Voting closed at 9pm on Thursday (7 March) and the new team of SU Full-Time Officers is out, read on to meet them.

By Will Standring, News Editor

After a month-long election period, Bristol SU has a new team of Full-Time Officers.

The election was Bristol Uni’s biggest ever with 7861 voters casting a ballot. The voter turnout per cent of 25.4, meaning a quarter of eligible students voted, is one of the highest seen in any student union election nationwide.

Seven Full-Time Officer roles were up for grabs, six of which have been filled by first-time candidates. Full-Time Officer is a paid role with each officer overseeing a different area of the student body

2023/24 FTOs Adam Michael and Pat Gibbs launching the 2024 Elections - Bristol SU

Union Affairs Officer

Katie Poyner has been elected Bristol SU Union Affairs Officer, replacing Adam Michael who held the role for two terms. Katie is also president of the History Society where she has led their campaign to rename Goldney House due to its ties to slavery. Epigram spoke to Katie in this article.

Student Living Officer

Lucy Pears is the new Student Living Officer (SLO). In her campaign, she highlighted affordable housing, wellbeing services, sexual violence and exam transport as key student issues. She replaces outgoing the SLO, Izzy Russel, who Epigram interviewed in October.

Equality, Liberation and Access (ELA) Officer

Linlu Ye will be the new Bristol SU ELA officer. Her three priorities for the role are: improving access to menstrual products on campus, making mental well-being services available in multiple languages and improving campus accessibility. She replaces Saranya Thambirajah who clashed with the uni over the decision not to rename buildings linked to slavery.

International Students Officer

Bakhtawar Javed was re-elected as International Students Officer, the only remaining member of the 2023/24 FTO team. This year, her priorities will be Student Visas, Housing and Cost of Living, Community and Belonging for International Students. You can read Epigram’s interview with Bakhtawar here.

Undergraduate Education Officer

Mia Stevens has been elected as Undergraduate Education Officer, replacing Nicole Antoine. Her three main aims are: improving financial accessibility, enhancing academic student services and increasing support for students in part-time employment. She was on the Bristol Spotlights committee for three years and was president for 2022-23.

Postgraduate Education Officer

Gurvin Chopra will be the new Bristol SU Postgraduate Education Officer. She aims to create ‘an inclusive postgraduate experience that alleviates financial and societal hardships whilst forming real community’. Epigram spoke to outgoing Postgrad Officer Timber Hill in October about the challenges of the role and postgrad life at Bristol, read it here.

Sports and Student Development Officer

Ella Lovibond has been elected as Sports and Student Development Officer, replacing Pat Gibbs. She currently plays Rugby for Bristol Bears alongside a Masters in Engineering Design. She starts the role amid controversy over the SU’s Code of Conduct, which the Uni Ladies Hockey Club has criticised for not considering sexual assault as a matter for immediate suspension.

Network Chair, Student Trustee, Faculty and Course Rep roles were also up for grabs, the results of which are still to be released.

Featured Image: Bristol SU

What do you think the Full-Time Officers' priorities should be for the upcoming year?