A quick introduction to Academic Representation

Academic reps are the elected students who represent their cohorts on academic issues to the University and help make positive change to improve the student experience.

Sponsored Content

They do this through gathering your opinions on your course, and attending School and Faculty level Student Staff Liaison Committees (SSLCs). They are also members of the Education Network, the network that exists to improve all students' educational experience at Bristol.

The representation system is made up of over 600 course reps, 18 faculty reps and two full-time Education Officers. First year and taught postgraduate academic reps have just been elected in the recent Bristol SU elections. You can find out who your course reps are here, and who your faculty reps are here.

Course Reps

Course Reps are students who have taken on the role of representing their course to the University and are a vital link between the student body, academic staff, and the Students' Union. They pass on any issues that students on their course have that have an effect on their studies. There is at least one course rep for every year on every course.

Faculty Reps

Faculty Reps are elected student representatives who represent all the students their faculty to the university. There are three reps per faculty, one for each level of study: Undergraduate, Postgraduate Taught, and Postgraduate Research. They play a vital role in supporting, consulting with, and building a community amongst their course reps. Each rep chairs their own Faculty Student Staff Liaison Committee (FSSLC), spaces where students can air any faculty level academic issues with university staff and find solutions to them.
They also attend meetings such as University Senate, the highest committee in the university, ensuring students' views on educational issues are being heard.

Education Officers

There are two full-time Education Officers. Nasra Ayub is the Undergraduate Education Officer. Her job is to oversee your time at University from the academic to the wellbeing side of things. This includes assessments, timetabling, mental health and cutting hidden course costs! You can find out more about her priorities here.

Shubham Singh is the Postgraduate Education Officer. His role encompasses representing Postgraduate (both taught and research) students at all levels within University and improving their student experience, particularly regarding well-being and academic affairs. You can find out more about his work here.

How do I contact my reps?

There are multiple ways you can contact your reps. You can email them, talk to them in person, contact them on social media or use the discussion boards on your course rep Blackboard space. If you're struggling to get in contact with them, then you can contact the Representation Team at bristolsu-representation@bristol.ac.uk. Your reps should also be seeking out your opinions so that they can take them to the university.

How can I get involved?

It's really important that you make sure your course and faculty reps are aware of any of the issues you have with your course so that they can bring these problems to the university. They are elected to represent you - so make sure they are doing that!

You can also join the Education Network. The Education Network exists to improve all students' educational experience at Bristol. Its aim is to work together to build an education student community and create change through collective action. Through the academic year, the Education Network will lead campaigns, hold forums and draft policy on Education related issues.

The Network is made up of all the Faculty Reps. All Course Reps and academic society presidents are automatically members, and any other interested student can join here. You can also join the Network Facebook Group.

Featured Image: Bristol SU