We Have A Ghost gives a refreshing take on the horror genre with well-executed humour and characterisations

Rishita Sengupta explores the interesting characterisations in We Have A Ghost (2022) and the wider messages the horror film communicates. Read further to see if it was a successful attempt...

By Rishita Sengupta, MA, English

We Have A Ghost (2022) is a science fiction comedy movie directed by Christopher Landon, known for his work in the horror genre. The film stars a talented ensemble cast that includes Anthony Mackie, David Harbour, Jahi Di'Allo Winston, Tig Notaro, and Jennifer Coolidge.

The movie revolves around Kevin and his family, who move into a new house and soon discover they are not alone. They are haunted by a friendly ghost, who only wants to communicate and be heard. The family decides to record the ghost's voice and upload it on social media, which leads to an online sensation and attracts the attention of a group of scientists and the government.

We Have a Ghost (2022) // Courtesy of Netflix on IMDB

The movie has a fresh and unique concept, which blends elements of comedy, science fiction, and horror. The characters are well-developed, and the chemistry between them is excellent.

The performances by the cast are impressive, especially Jahi Di'Allo Winston, who plays the role of Kevin. Anthony Mackie and David Harbour deliver strong performances, adding depth and humour to their characters.

What made the movie a lot more enjoyable for me were the underlayers. For example, the decision to capitalise on the ghost as a means to make money is a reflection of the current cultural climate, where social media and viral sensations can quickly become profitable. In the movie, the family's financial struggles are relieved by the sudden success of their ghostly housemate, demonstrating the power of internet fame.

We Have a Ghost (2022) // Courtesy of Scott Saltzman and Netflix on IMDB

The film's visual effects are top-notch and provide a realistic representation of the ghost, making it easy for the audience to believe in the character. The soundtrack is also well done, and the music fits the tone of the movie perfectly.

One of the highlights of the movie is its humour, which is well-balanced and never detracts from the story's seriousness. The film also tackles some social issues, such as racism and social media's influence on society, but does so in a way that does not detract from the overall entertainment value of the movie.

However, what makes We Have A Ghost truly unique is its subversion of the idea that ghosts are scary. Instead of the typical horror movie approach, where ghosts are portrayed as malevolent and terrifying beings, the ghost in this film is friendly and helpful. The movie challenges the audience's expectations, and the result is a refreshing and innovative take on the ghost story. The ghost, played by David Harbour, is a charming and endearing character, adding a layer of warmth and humour to the film.

Overall, We Have A Ghost is an enjoyable movie that combines humour, science fiction, and horror in a unique and refreshing way. The film's talented cast, impressive visual effects, and well-executed humour make it a must-watch for fans of the genre.

Featured Image: Courtesy of Scott Saltzman and Netflix on IMDB

What did you think of the ghost being a less malevolent character?