News2022

Vince Cable speaks at Wills Memorial Building

On Tuesday, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats spoke to politics students at the Wills Memorial Building.

by Mark Ross, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, the former leader of the Liberal Democrats spoke to politics students about parliament, China and how to get elected as an MP.

The talk, jointly organised by the Politics Society and the International Affairs Society, was extremely well attended, with students forced to stand or sit on the floor.

Mr Cable discussed his new political memoir, 'Partnership and Politics in a Divided Decade'. The book, written in tandem with his wife, discusses his time in office during the coalition government (2010-2015).

The talk was extremely well-attended

He also opined on a variety of topical issues, from how to deal with a politically disengaged youth to bridging the ever-increasing divide between China and the West.

Mr Cable's talk was followed by a short Q and A, during which he was grilled by a handful of politics students.

When asked about his refusal to label the mass incarceration of Uighur Muslims in China a 'genocide', Mr Cable discussed the 'importance of semantics' in politics and the conseuqences of such potent wording.

His affable manner and insightful commentary made for a stimulating evening of discussion.

For more information on similar upcoming events, head to the instagram accounts of both societies here and here.