The Post-Travel Blues

Why do we get the travel blues, and are they a bad thing? Theano explores how the bittersweet memories of past trips can become a way to appreciate both travel in the past and present.

By Theano Dimopoulou

The Croft Magazine // Why do we get the travel blues, and are they a bad thing? Theano explores how the bittersweet memories of past trips can become a way to appreciate both travel in the past and present.

Nostalgia is a bittersweet feeling that can be triggered by a variety of experiences, including travel. The post-travel blues, which often involve a sense of nostalgia, can be seen as a natural and even beneficial part of the travel experience. While they may be difficult to cope with, the feelings of longing and wistfulness associated with the blues can help us to appreciate the memories and experiences we've gained from our travels. After returning home from an exciting trip, it's not uncommon to feel a sense of nostalgia for the experiences and memories created while away on vacation. However, while these feelings of longing and wistfulness can be difficult to cope with, they can also be a sign of the joy and happiness that was experienced during the journey.

It's important to note that the post-travel blues are not inherently negative or bad. They're simply a reflection of the fact that we've had a positive experience that has come to an end. In fact, the post-travel blues can be seen as a positive thing. They show that the memories and experiences gained from the trip were meaningful and impactful, and that they left a lasting impression. It's important to acknowledge and accept these feelings, rather than try to suppress or ignore them.

© Adam Liu

One can use these feelings to look back on a fun and enjoyable trip and reminisce on things they saw or experienced. We can look back on photos, reminisce about the adventures we had, and share stories with others. By doing so, we can relive the joy and excitement of our trip, even if we're no longer physically there. We can also use our memories and experiences to inspire us to plan future travels and adventures. This can create a sense of anticipation and excitement for what's to come, helping to mitigate the feelings of sadness or loss associated with the end of a trip.

The post-travel blues can also serve as a reminder to appreciate the present moment and to fully immerse ourselves in the experiences we're currently having. We can use the memories and experiences gained from our travels to enhance our day-to-day lives, whether it's through trying new foods, exploring new places in our own city, or simply taking time to appreciate the beauty around us.

By acknowledging and accepting these feelings, we can use them as a reminder of the beauty and value of the experiences we've had. Ultimately, while the post-travel blues can be difficult to cope with, they can also be a sign of the joy and happiness that was experienced during the trip. By embracing these feelings and using our experiences to enrich our lives, we can continue to find beauty and happiness long after the journey has ended.

Featured image: Finnuala Brett

How have you turned travel nostalgia into a positive thing?