Taurus season in Film & TV

The 20th of April to the 20th of May celebrates the Taurus season. Annie McNamee has compiled a list of some iconic Taurus characters and directors in the industry to help you commemorate this season.

By Annie McNamee, First Year, English and Film

⋆。°✩ TAURUS SEASON {April 20 - May 20} ⋆。°✩

Taurus is symbolized by the bull; it is a sign of power, determination, and tenacity. And because Taurus is an earth sign, that power isn’t flighty or erratic but steady, solid, and grounded in the real world. This energy is often very practical, ready to do what needs to be done, even when that work isn’t flashy or thrilling or attention-grabbing.

Headstrong and hedonistic, Taurus’ springtime reign from April 20th-May 20th is one of the new beginnings of the season. Remembering that, no, life isn’t miserable and destitute; it was just winter. Despite often being characterised by defiant stubbornness and materialism, those of us born under the bull do actually have some redeeming traits.

With unwavering loyalty to those they love, Tauruses are the friends you know you can count on to help you hide a body. Our principled nature combined with being self-assured can make us great leaders at times or micromanaging bosses at others. It’s a toss-up.

In honour of Taurus season beginning, here are some recommendations to get you in the mood to celebrate your Taurean friends properly and welcome in Spring as the sun thaws away winter, along with all of our hearts.

The Hunger Games (2012-2015)

If you aren't already part of The Hunger Games renaissance that has been dominating TikTok, now is the time to join. The trilogy follows Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), a sixteen-year-old living in the dystopian country of Panem, which hosts annual events known as 'The Hunger Games’: an event where twenty-four teenagers, two from each of the twelve districts, battle to the death.

The citizens of the country’s Capitol watch it in grotesque intrigue, the same way we might watch Love Island (2015-) – only with a lot more blood. Having won the games, Katniss and her crew begin a plot to overthrow the corrupt government.

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games (2012) // Courtesy of Lionsgate on IMDB

Katniss, the solemn and, at times, the slightly annoying protagonist of the dystopian series, is an archetypal Taurus. The entire series begins because she sacrifices herself in order to save her little sister, a move which is so caring it borders on idiotic. An embodiment of her May 8th birthday.

Katniss wins her first games through a combination of strength of will and exceptional archery skills before attempting to kill herself and winning against her district companion Peetah (Josh Hutcherson).

Everything about her screams Taurus, and the films are great fun to watch with your friends. It’s impossible not to be at least a little bit excited when her dress literally catches fire, and TV host Caesar (Stanley Tucci) will almost make you side with the Capitol for as long as he’s on screen.

Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Lawrence, and Josh Hutchingson in The Hunger Games (2012) // Courtesy of Lionsgate on IMDB
Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Known for attention to detail and obsessive symmetry, Wes Anderson’s directorial style was written in the stars. His May first birthday explains his admiration for material beauty and the way he stubbornly sticks to one visual style. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) expertly walks the line between style and substance.

The setup is simple- Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) is the chief concierge of the titular hotel, and he prides himself on excellent service, which includes absolutely anything a customer could need- let your imagination run amok.

When one of his regular customers/lovers dies mysteriously, he is framed for murder, and he and his favourite lobby boy (Tony Revolori) embark on a journey to exonerate him.

The 100-minute runtime flies by, full of witty humour and a lot of heart, which often comes out at unexpected moments. Anderson’s love for the finer things and clear vision make him a unique and singularly Taurean director. The film is lush with colour, perfect for pairing with colour returning to nature outside.

Parks and Recreation (2009-2015)

If you’re looking for a sincere yet sarcastic sitcom to binge this Spring, look no further than Parks and Recreation. Set in the fictional town of Pawnee, this show follows the ups and downs of local government, a riveting premise I know. Luckily, witty writing and lovable characters make the show a timeless classic. It features two potential Taureans in its lineup.

Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) is a libertarian with a less than favourable attitude towards government, being that he would prefer it not exist at all, and a secret soft side for those he’s fond of. When asked about his birthday in one episode, he answers, ‘Spring time’. Add to that his love for good food and I’ll-do-what-I-want-to attitude, and it’s obvious he fits the bill.

Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) is the show’s leading lady, and her star sign has been debated since the show’s debut, but to me, she is clearly a Taurus. She refuses to have anything done if it isn’t done her way, and it seems almost impossible to change her view on something once she’s made up her mind. She adores her friends, with friends being her top priority in life, followed by ‘waffles and work’. Need I say more?

Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler in Parks and Recreation (2009) // Courtesy of NBC/Colleen Hayes on IMDB
Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Although it is perhaps not the first film you think of when you picture a bull, Sleeping Beauty is absolutely a film that we Tauruses can relate to. After all, what is more indulgent than sleeping for 100 years, only to wake up when a handsome prince finds you?

Again full of beautiful colours, this Disney classic is an easy watch to ease you into the Spring. The cherry on top? The Princess Aurora’s floral namesake is a flower which mainly blooms during late spring; a Taurean flower.

Courtesy of Walt Disney Studios on IMDB
Lady Bird (2017)

It would feel wrong not to include a coming-of-age film in this list, considering Taurus' placement right in the heart of a season of change. Lady Bird’s stubbornness makes her a very relatable heroine for many Tauruses, being so contrary that she makes up an entire alter ego for herself just because she can.

Lady Bird (2017) is the directorial debut from Greta Gerwig and follows the eponymous protagonist (Saoirse Ronan) through her last year of high school, including the ups and downs with her love life, and chiefly her strained relationship with her mother (Laurie Metcalf). Some argue that the film is boring, but as all good Taureans know, good things come with time.

Lady Bird is incredibly touching when you least expect it to be and droll throughout. The mother-daughter relationship is not only realistic but heartbreaking, and Ronan’s performance is exceptional.

If you haven’t already seen it, now is the time to get your Gerwig Cinematic Universe knowledge up to scratch with her next project, Barbie (2023), just around the corner.

Featured Image: Clueless (1995) // Courtesy of Paramount HE on IMDB

What film or TV show character do you think is a Taurus down to a T?