News2023

Students encouraged to donate apples for a free drink in return

This year’s National Apple Day will see Bristol University joining the Cider Box taprooms to make local cider.

Image courtesy of Unsplash 

By Lottie Leigh, News Reporter

This autumn, the season of apple picking, Bristol University wants students to donate apples which will then be turned into a free drink of either fresh apple juice or cider.

The event will take place on Sunday the 8th of October from 11am to 3pm where donations can be graciously received by the University for free access to the University of Bristol Botanical gardens for the day.

Andy Winfield, the Senior Botanical Horticulturist at the university’s Botanical gardens has said ‘This time of year people often find themselves with more apples than they know what to do with. We thought this would be a great opportunity to help bring the community together, reduce wastage and enjoy a free Westcountry cider at the end’.

Any apples which are suitable for pressing can be donated and students are asked to donate fruit that is picked closest to the day.

Although there are no limits on how many apples one can donate, the maximum amount of cider that can be given per person is 5 bottles with the equivalent of 5kg of apples in donation in exchange for one bottle of cider.

Cider can be collected from the Cider Box in April 2024.

Please note that if you are unable to make this donation day, alternative donation days to drop off apples can be found at Lockleaze Community Hub on Gainsborough Square on the 5th – 6th of October between 9am and 3pm as well as Hillfields Community Garden on the 7th of October between 1pm – 2pm and Bramble Farm in Knowle taking donations on the same day between 11am and 1pm.