Pisces Season in Film and TV

From February 19th to March 20th, the alignment of the stars celebrates the Pisces season. A water sign, also known as the sign of the fish, Pisces season welcomes a lot of emotion, creativity, and fluidity. Ella Woszczyk highlights some brilliant reflections of the Pisces signs in Film & TV.

By Ella Woszczyk, Second Year, English

⋆。°✩ PISCES SEASON {February 19 - March 20} ⋆。°✩

A mutable water sign, characterised by the symbol of swimming fish, Pisces is the 12th sign of the zodiac, marking the transition from Winter to Spring. Intuitive, dreamy, artistic, humane, sympathetic, sensitive, compassionate, perceptive, tender, and impressionable– these are some of the ways to describe individuals of this star sign.

Pisces' cannot dismiss their emotions and are thus empathetic, intuitive, and spiritual individuals who may sometimes edge on the dramatic! In light of this, I have comprised a list of films and TV series that encapsulate these Piscean characteristics.

The following films have fun and creative narratives and will also emotionally impact their viewers. This list should not only appeal to a Pisces’ desire for inventiveness but also offer some tender distraction for students as we await the Easter break.

About Time (2013)

One of the first associations people tend to make with Pisces is that they are deeply emotional and empathetic individuals. With that in mind, I hope you don’t mind the somewhat heart-wrenching first edition to our list.

About Time (2013) is a touching time-travel fantasy exploring the romantic endeavours of its male protagonist, alongside the relationship with his father, played by Bill Nighy. As far as anticipating the quality of a film, having Bill Nighy as one of the main characters usually puts it in fairly good stead, yet this story takes this effectiveness to a new level.

The narrative feels successfully split into two halves: the first is a story of a middle-class and socially awkward young man from Cornwall finding his footing in London. The second, the same man, now slightly older, navigating life with his new family.

Beautifully nuanced and honest, the characters experience the peaks and troughs that accompany existence, with unique and often comic interjections of the fantastical. The Piscean sign is two fishes swimming in opposite directions, and About Time should appeal to those of us who like to explore dualities.

Without spoiling the ending, I firmly predict tears (in a very emotional Pisces fashion) will accompany you into the credits.

Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams in About Time (2013) // Courtesy of Murray Close/Universal Pictures on IMDB
Santa Clarita Diet (2017-2019)

An actress almost recognised as the poster girl of her star sign, Drew Barrymore is your archetypal Pisces. Creative, sentimental, and sensitive in the best way possible, fellow Pisces should be able to relate to at least some parts of the characters she portrays.

Sheila Hammond, Drew Barrymore’s character in the three-season Santa Clarita Diet, is a suburban housewife who has well and truly entered monotony. After eating some ‘dodgy’ clams, she is reborn into a surprising and, let's say, unconventional, new persona.

Pisces are frequently awash with conflicting feelings, and Sheila must juggle this revived lease on life with a deadly impulsiveness that risks placing her family in danger.

Though this light-hearted series was axed unexpectedly, its shorter length means you can whizz through it in no time – perfect to fit around your studies!

Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant in Santa Clarita Diet (2017) // Courtesy of Saeed Ayani/Netflix on IMDB
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

Moving away from actors and towards characters themselves, the adorable Newton Scamander’s connection with animals is evidence of his empathy and draws him closely in line with the sign of the fish.

The key Pisces trait of generosity plays a large part in his occupation, though truthfully, I’m not sure how far this extends to people.

It is said that due to the intuitive nature of those born under Pisces, they often have an interest in the spiritual or mystical. You may now notice that most of the recommendations on this list have an air to the magical.

There will be many of us who feel we never have our fill of the famous world of wizardry, and in this film, we get to see a young Albus Dumbledore played by Jude Law (insert side eye emoji).

Though this third film of the prequel series was met with mixed reviews, I would encourage you to form your own opinion. I do recall a very entertaining crab scene.

Jude Law, Dan Fogler, Eddie Redmayne, Jessica Williams, and Callum Turner in Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022) // Courtesy of Warner Bros. on IMDB
Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2012)

The second TV series in this list, I’m sure many of you will be familiar with the comically riotous misadventures of Edwina and Patsy.

Anybody who spends a lot of time emotionally investing in everything needs an opportunity to release, so it comes as no surprise that Pisces’ pleasure seek. I mean, Rihanna is a Pisces – they like to party.

Absolutely Fabulous, with its glamorous and satirical comedy, is perfect escapism. Carefree and hysterical, you can indulge in uncensored bad behaviour. Though saying this, Pisces are also known to be impressionable.

Eddy and Patsy are by no means role models, so let's celebrate Eddy’s daughter, Saffron, as the voice of responsibility in the otherwise chaotic realm of designer shoes and champagne.

Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders in Absolutely Fabulous (1992) // Courtesy of Jack Barnes/BBC on IMDB
Knives Out (2019) // Glass Onion (2022)

Putting aside Daniel Craig’s hilariously theatrical southern American accent, the whodunnit duos are well-crafted and entertaining films. Pisces are known for their intelligence and imagination, so the mind of the famous fictional detective may captivate their interest.

In both Knives Out (2019) and its sequel, Glass Onion (2022), Blanc proves that he genuinely cares for the people he works for, and though his calm demeanour suggests he isn’t particularly sensitive, an insight into human nature indicates he is exceptionally feeling.

Due to the intricate unveiling of the crimes using flash-back techniques, these mystery and detective stories should certainly appeal to a Pisces’ desire for creativity.

Though Blanc has a moral obligation to deliver justice, he is also motivated to protect the inherently good characters with his kindness. For this purpose, we can also welcome him into the Pisces cohort.

Daniel Craig in Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) // Courtesy of John Wilson/Netflix on IMDB

Featured Image: Call Me By Your Name (2017) // Courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics on IMDB

What do you think of the Pisces star sign?