Death threats and online abuse as tensions from Hong Kong infiltrate campus

A hidden conflict between the University of Bristol’s Hong Kong international students has emerged. With tensions on campus rising and the community falling victim to political polarisation.

By Georgiana Scott, Investigations Editor

Students have reported receiving social media abuse and even death threats from fellow Hong Kong students as antagonisation increases.

The differences in opinions centre over the current pro-democracy protests taking place across Hong Kong.

The riots, which started peacefully in June 2019, have greatly intensified, with both police and demonstrators resorting to the use of more violent tactics. As a result, previous issues have arisen on University campuses across the UK between those in favour of democracy and those against it.

However, cracks have now formed within the pro-democracy movement itself, between those who no longer condone the methods being used by the protestors in Hong Kong and those that believe their actions are justified in the fight for democracy.

Christy* a third-year student from Hong Kong, reported that she received a death threat after she shared a social media post that questioned the actions of the anti-government movement.

She explained how a ‘former friend’ had taken a screenshot of her Instagram profile and posted it online with the words ‘Someone end this girl’ branded over it.

Christy explained that ‘Ending’ is a term used by the pro-democracy movement to describe ‘where you have just beaten up someone who has different opinions from you.’ She said this is followed by the sharing of a picture of the victim ‘covered in blood’ on social media.

After seeing the term had been placed over her head, Christy feared being ‘physically attacked on campus.’ She expressed, ‘I was paranoid for several days over what would happen to me and I didn’t know what to do.’

Hong Kong Protest / Epigram | Anonymous 

Although she reported the incident to the police, she made the decision not to go to the University as she was concerned it would only add fuel to the conflict. She said, ‘The University are not there to take sides. If they put their foot in, someone will get upset.’

She added, ‘Once you give the University information you don’t know what they are going to do with that information. I don’t trust them.

‘If they have a go at some Hong Kong students, it just puts others on the spot. They will know that we went to tell the University.’

Revealing the naked truth of a UoB sugar baby

She explained how this incident was just one in many cases of ‘social media abuse’ and ‘public shaming’ from other Hong Kong students she has experienced this year at University as a result of not fully supporting the pro-democracy movement.

‘My peers are quite aggressive they attack you as a person instead of attacking your view. They just go to you “you’re rubbish, you’re a pig”. Those kinds of insults I’ve heard a million times.’

'The third-year student from Hong Kong, reported that she received a death threat after she shared a social media post that questioned the actions of the anti-government movement.'

She continued, ‘I know that If I continue to express my opinion publicly, then something will happen to me and that is now the norm I would say… If you’re around Hong Kong students in the UK, you better shut up.’

For now, there’s nothing we can do, but keep our silence.’

After learning of the incident, ‘Bristol Stands with Hong Kong**’, an activism group who are vocal in their support for the pro-democracy protestors,  told Epigram; ‘The Hong Kong pro-democracy protests have turned into a movement of unprecedented scale…and division growing between people with different opinions is unavoidable collateral.

…We sympathise with those who feel that they are unable to speak up just because they hold an unpopular opinion, as no one should be feeling in that particular way. Likewise, some of us who are more pro-democracy also fear retribution from those who take a more pro-China/pro-government/pro-police view.’

Recognising some students might not want to go to the University for support , the group added, ‘We strongly urge those who feel that way, to take action as you see fit, as it is their freedom and right to do so, and we do understand how it feels to be oppressed, helpless and alone.’

'I know that If I continue to express my opinion publicly, then something will happen to me and that is now the norm I would say.'
Christy, UoB third-year

The political divide between students has not just put their physical safety at risk; students have expressed how the situation has become a strain on their mental health. They said they felt ‘powerless’ after continually seeing pictures of people in their home country being violently attacked and that they were constantly ‘concerned for their families back home.’

Hong Kong Protest / Epigram | Anonymous 

In response to the reported incidents, the University commented; “The University of Bristol is a place where everyone should feel safe, welcome and accepted.

‘We have not received any reports or information regarding these claims but are concerned if there are students out there who are experiencing this kind of abuse.

Greta Thunberg speaks to huge crowd in Bristol

‘We understand the reticence to not speak out, but it’s really important that anyone affected talk to a member of our wellbeing, residential life or security teams, or contact us online via Report and Support or the Health and Wellbeing web pages, so we can offer appropriate support and information. This can be done confidentially if necessary.’

*Names have been changed to keep anonymity

**Bristol stands with HK disclaimer: Our organisation does not represent the HK international student community within Bristol University Campus. Our response may not provide a holistic and accurate representation of your target demographics, and merely an observation.

Featured Image: Anonymous

Have you ever received abuse for sharing your political opinion? Let us know.