News2024

Colston statue set to return to M-Shed museum

After being out of public view for 2 years, the controversial Colston statue may return to its previous temporary home, the M-Shed Museum.

By Maud Humphries, News Digital Editor

The statue of Edward Colston, the Transatlantic slave trader, is set to return to the M-Shed museum, pending council approval.

The Colston statue was pulled down in a Black Lives Matter protest on Bristol Harbourside in Summer 2020.

Following this, it was temporarily moved to M-shed before being out of public view for the last 2 years.

However, a survey conducted within Bristol by the We Are Bristol History Commission found that 80% of the city agreed with the statue being placed in a museum.

The statue was pulled down by protestors in June 2020

The We Are Bristol History Commission feels the planned move represents the ‘many diverse opinions’ and ‘the complexity of feelings associated with the statue’ which is demonstrated in their report which includes the survey results.

City Mayor Marvin Rees believes ‘the best place for the statue is the museum’.

The application for the move of the Grade II listed statue has been submitted for Council Development Control Committee approval on 21st February.

The Commission is glad to see the council has acted upon the survey results and the overwhelming consensus of the city.

Image: Rufus Atkins // Epigram

Professor Tim Cole, chair of the We Are Bristol History Commission, spoke exclusively to Epigram:

'The survey revealed that most people in the city and beyond shared a sense that the statue is historically important - all the more so since its removal - and so should be preserved.'

'However, most recognised that its complex and problematic history requires more than a single plaque and so museum display is appropriate to contextualise this object.'

'Two other issues emerged in the comments people made that were important.

'Firstly, the vast majority of those who commented on display, wanted to see the statue displayed lying down and in its damaged and graffitied state. In short, they wanted the toppling to be made visible in museum display as this is a critical part of this object's story and significance.

'Secondly, there were some who didn't want the statue displayed in the museum, and either wanted the statue back on the plinth, or thrown back in the harbour. Their voices - although a minority - are important to consider. The plan is to display the statue in such a way that visitors to M-Shed can choose whether they see the statue in its new setting in a museum.'

The Council's report states the support for the move of the statue to M-Shed and the plinth to remain on Colston Avenue, with a new plaque proposed.

The statue would feature as part of a new upcoming exhibition in M-Shed around the theme of 'protests' which is set to open in March.

Featured Image: Rufus Atkins // Epigram

Where do you think the statue should stay?