Bridgerton Season Three: hard to love, even harder to hate

It was 8 hours of carefully crafted televisual comfort food.

// Courtesy of IMDb //

Everything is enjoyable when secret romances, satin frocks, and dramatic confessions are involved – but just how good is Bridgerton’s newest season beneath all the frills, bells, and whistles?

Featured Image Courtesy of IMDb

By Marianne Chatburn, Film and TV Sub-editor

Based upon the bestselling book series by Julia Quinn, Netflix's romance drama explores how the members of the wealthy Bridgerton family manoeuvre their way between the upper echelons of regency era society while under the watchful eye of Lady Whistledown – Bridgerton’s very own Gossip Girl. By now, viewers are well aware that Penelope Featherington (Nicola Coughlan) is in possession of the infamous Whistledown alias, and with years of watching lovers from the sidelines, season three promised her a long-awaited romance with Colin Bridgerton (Luke Newton).

As each new season rolls around, Shonda Rhimes is faced with the colossal task of convincing her avid viewership that the newest romantic pairing is even more lovable, shiny, and exciting than the last. Following the immense success of season two’s Kate (Simone Ashley) and Anthony (Jonathan Bailey), it was clear that season three’s Penelope and Colin had big, well-polished boots to fill. Despite the element of lifelong friendship disturbing the usual romantic formula, Penelope’s decade of internalized affection for Colin seems to work to the writers’ advantage as we have spent the previous two seasons waiting expectantly for their platonic relationship to unravel into something more.

This season commences with Colin returning from his grand tour around Europe where he seems to have found himself as well as a new barber. Although I found the re-introduction of Colin’s newly weathered character somewhat clunky and implausible, Coughlan salvaged the storyline by presenting Penelope’s realistically conflicted reaction. It is comforting to know that our protagonist is just as frustrated as we are, upholding the fine-tuned everyman relatability that defines her alternate identity. Coughlan and Newton’s on-screen chemistry also consistently elevates the script, as they work around the friendly dialogue that the characters share and add the subtle but crucial evidence of romantic yearning - something that can only truly be captured by expression. This is shown most clearly in episode three when Penelope and Lord Debling (Sam Phillips) share a dance, and Newton manages to flawlessly encapsulate Colin’s complex feelings of jealousy and admiration through a singular expression.

// Courtesy of IMDb //

Not only do we see Penelope grapple with hiding her feelings for Colin this season, but we also witness her struggle to reveal her double life to him. Lady Whistledown’s meddling in the lives of so many of the well-loved characters makes it difficult to feel for the character’s adversity, but Coughlan’s masterfully delicate portrayal of Penelope’s heartache and confliction make an otherwise unlikeable character a fan favourite. Coughlan displays Penelope’s distress and vulnerability so convincingly that it is painful to watch on as our narrator struggles to confess the truth to Colin in the few hours that Eloise (Claudia Jessie) grants her before threatening to reveal the secret herself. While Penelope’s eventual confession in front of the ton seems to be an unrealistic attempt at a denouement, Coughlan's passionate delivery once again acts as a much-needed crutch for the material.

The first half of this two-part series presents a steady build-up to the pair confessing their love for one another, and when this arrives as early as episode four, the audience is left thinking what more is there to say? As viewers, we are accustomed to many fictional romance books, films, and TV shows cutting to a wedding directly after the slow-burning romance of the couple has culminated in a picture-perfect first kiss, so much so that it was refreshing to realise that we were to be treated to another four episodes on the 13th of June. Although this makes the pacing of the season feel somewhat skewed, Rhimes nonetheless entertains us by bolstering the various sub-plots and undercutting them all with Penelope’s ongoing identity crisis. We watch as Cressida (Jessica Madsen) struggles to escape an impending marriage while Violet (Ruth Gemmell) embarks on a blossoming romance with the newly introduced Marcus Anderson (Daniel Francis). Storylines such as these give dimension to lesser-explored characters who may have appeared less interesting in seasons past. Unfortunately, we are also subjected to Colin’s tedious temper tantrum for the duration of the second half of this season which, though realistic, is also grating.

// Courtesy of IMDb //

Aside from this season’s various fictional threads, its costume design and general stylization have proven to be a hot topic of contention amongst audiences. It would be an understatement to say that Bridgerton’s team has never been particularly devoted to historical accuracy, but it is most glaringly apparent this season. Viewers have taken to social media to declare how they struggle to find themselves engrossed in the drama when Penelope is sporting fake nails and long flowing waves in a supposedly 19th-century setting. While I revel in the unapologetic mix of contemporary and regency that forms Bridgerton’s unique style and essence, it may appear lazily inaccurate to some viewers. This begs the question, are standards slipping in the Bridgerton creative department? Or should we embrace Penelope’s smokey eye as we do the orchestral rendition of ‘Material Girl’? Either way, the characters continue to stun audiences with their ever-enchanting looks, maintaining the feel of an unapologetically glamourous fairytale that has enticed viewers since its debut.

With such a large and expectant viewership, season three has inevitably received mixed reviews, with some lamenting that ‘the entire season struggles with priorities and pacing’ (Alyssa Mora, IGN) and others lauding how ‘It’s so good at being exactly what it needs to be that it’s sort of incredible — a masterpiece, really’ (Lauren Piester, TheWrap). While I recognise its pitfalls, I think this season did exactly what I wanted it to do – it impressed me with lovable characters who I could laugh with and root for. It was 8 hours of carefully crafted televisual comfort food.

What did you think of the latest season of Bridgerton?