Beyond the books: The importance of social spaces on campus

Alannah Mylechreest delves into the importance of having social spaces on campus and offers some recommendations for new students joining the university.

By Alannah Mylechreest, Third Year, English and German

What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘studying’? Most likely late nights at Wills, stress levels at an all-time high, your head buried in flashcards and, crucially, alone. While solitary time to focus on your studies is undoubtedly important, collaborative study sessions with a group of friends can be just as productive and oftentimes even more rewarding.

Social study spaces are scattered throughout The University of Bristol campus, encouraging group work and communal studying, as well as functioning as areas where students can simply relax and catch up with friends. The upcoming academic year is the perfect opportunity to explore the social spaces Bristol has to offer.

Studying with a group of friends can have a multitude of benefits; collaborative learning opens up opportunities to share different perspectives and different experiences, including new studying techniques. Testing each other on tricky concepts, discussing essay plans, or simply sharing your woes about the stresses of revision are all things that aren’t possible in the silent zone in libraries, but are encouraged in social spaces. Working as a group means that you can motivate each other as well as check up on one another’s well-being.

Martha, a third-year modern languages student, enjoyed using a wide variety of study spaces last year. She told Epigram that although no talk zones in libraries can be useful for concentrating on essays, these can sometimes feel ‘too intense’, meaning that she has recently been trying out the social study spaces for revision activities like language learning.

Martha added that she finds it useful to have spaces that encourage group study and that she has benefited from adopting this social studying technique: ‘As someone who used to study independently for almost everything, it’s been so nice to switch things up recently and study with my coursemates. Working together has naturally strengthened my ability to work in a group – as well as my friendships! – and has therefore made both my academic and social well-being much healthier’.

However, the many communal spaces across Bristol are not exclusively designed for studying. These areas are also great for socialising, and due to their affordability and accessibility have become popular spots for casual meetups.

The post-pandemic era has seen an increase in discussion about the lack of third spaces in modern society. The term, coined by Ray Oldenburg in 1989, refers to spaces that are separate from the home and the workplace, in which people are free to socialise in a low-pressure environment. While typical student hangouts like cafes and pubs fall under this definition, they have become increasingly less accessible, primarily due to rising prices. This issue is particularly pronounced in Bristol, which was recently ranked as the fourth most expensive city to be a student.

Places like the university’s social spaces are therefore needed now more than ever as students are on the search not only for places to study but also spaces to take a break and connect with friends.

Among its highlights are the Global Lounge and, most importantly, the Beckford Bar

Incoming students may be wondering where to look for these communal spaces. The best place to start would be one of Bristol’s many Source Cafes, which offer food and drink at student-friendly prices. Beacon House and Senate House are two of the most popular, but there are also other cafes dotted throughout campus. Priory Road and the Biomedical Sciences Building are some excellent examples that are close to teaching spaces, giving students the chance to take a breather with friends in between lectures.

Many faculty buildings have common room spaces where students (of any subject) can hang out and study. The social spaces in Woodland Road where the Faculty of Arts is based are only one example of a fantastic place to relax with coursemates. Across the road is the Hawthorns Study Lounge, a slightly smaller but no less charming location that offers a cosy atmosphere for social studying.

Navigating change: Experiencing the transition from rural to urban living
Rebuilding a lesbian community at Bristol University

Perhaps the most popular social space on campus is Senate House. As the go-to spot for many group projects, it features multiple floors dedicated to both social and silent study spaces, catering to a variety of study needs. Among its highlights are the Global Lounge and, most importantly, the Beckford Bar – the perfect location to unwind after a long day.

Wherever you choose to study this year, don’t limit yourself to the fluorescent, no-talking zones of the ASS – give one of Bristol’s social study spaces a try!

Featured Image: Epigram / Nel Roden

Which social study spaces will you be visiting?