Aries Season in Film & TV

From the 21st of March to the 19th of April, Aries season is taking over. Imogen Harbert compiles a list of her favourite Arian characters in film and TV.

By Imogen Harbert, First Year, Film

⋆。°✩ ARIES SEASON { March 21 - April 19 } ⋆。°✩

The Positives: They are energetic, passionate, brave, bold, leaders, creative and honest // The Negatives: They can be competitive, impulsive, impatient, and temperamental.

Known for their passionate aura and fiery temper, Aries lead the zodiac calendar, taking their place as the first sign. The fire signs comprise of Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, with Aries taking the cardinal position, marking them the natural leaders of the trio.

Identified by the ram, a male bighorn sheep, Aries are characterised as protective and aggressive. Ruled by Mars, the planet of war, Aries can’t help but say yes to a fight.

To celebrate this chaotic season and as a fellow Aries myself, I have compiled a list of seven characters in film & TV that embody this sign.

Anger, Inside Out (2015)
“We should lock the door and scream that curse word we know. It’s a good one!”

The list had to be started with Anger, the most Aries of all the Aries that Aries ever was. Anger is red, which is the colour most widely associated with Aries as it connotes danger and fire. Angers's first and most important aim in Inside Out (2015) is to get the best for Riley, showing passion and ambition.

Anger is first introduced as having a full-blown tantrum because Riley’s dad wouldn’t let her have dessert if she didn’t eat her broccoli – and he REALLY loves dessert. Arieses are led by the head, and so it is very fitting that Anger is 90% head and 10% body, highlighting his headstrong nature – pun intended.

Courtesy of Disney/Pixar on IMDB
Regina George, Mean Girls (2004)
“Why are you so obsessed with me?”

She is evil in human form. Portrayed by Rachel McAdams, Regina is the primary antagonist, contrasting naive student Kady who has just moved from Africa. Whilst Regina has the flashiness and style of a Leo, while her thirst to lead and competitiveness gives her an Arian edge. Her explosive meltdown when she finds out Kady has been deceivingly feeding her Kälteen bars, which ‘make you gain weight like crazy’ is one for the history books.

THE mean girl herself has a fair share of influence amongst her peers. She reminds Gretchen multiple times that ‘fetch’ will never happen and that Karen is ‘so stupid’, yet deep down, this is all just her projecting her own insecurities.

She sees Kady as her competition as well as her so-called friends and will use aggressive ways to keep them below her level. It’s safe to say that releasing the Burn Book to the entire school was an all-time low but one that perfectly sums up Regina Georges's character.

Rachel McAdams as Regina George in Mean Girls (2004) // Courtesy of CBS Photo Archive/CBS via Getty Images on IMDB
Max Mayfield, Stranger Things (2016 -)
“There’s more to life than stupid boys, you know”

As said before, red helps amplify Aries's fierceness, so it certainly helps that Max, played by Sadie Sink, has beautiful red locks to accompany her volcanic persona. When Max is first introduced in Season Two of Stranger Things (2016-), she chooses her arcade name to be Mad Max, an antihero and titular character from the 1979 film of the same name.

Max shows passion with her love for skateboarding and, eventually, her friendship with the party. In a heartbreaking scene during Season Four, she sacrifices herself to Vecna to save the people she cares about, oozing the bravery and courageousness that lies within Aries’.

Sadie Sink as Max Mayfield in Stranger Things (2016-) // Courtesy of Netflix on IMDB
Fred and George Weasley, The Harry Potter Universe (2001-2011)
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good”

Following the redheaded pattern here, Fred and George are a fan favourite amongst Harry Potter fans. This mischievous duo are recognised for their cheeky personas who thrive when rebelling against authority.

One of the standout moments of rebellion is when they bring fireworks into the fifth year's O.W.L exams, interrupting them in hopes to upset the rule of tyrannic Professor Umbridge. Their bravery and creativity is shown when they open up a joke shop in Diagon Alley.

This was most certainly a risky move, as it came at a time when the street was essentially deserted after the Death eater's attack, further exemplifying the Weasley's courage. Luckily it paid off as a bit of fun was what many witches and wizards needed in those dark times.

James and Oliver Phelps as Fred and George Weasley in Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix (2007) // Courtesy of Warner Bros. on IMDB
Madison Montgomery, American Horror Story (2011 -)
“Surprise, b*tch. I bet you thought you’d seen the last of me”

The diva role is a staple of any Ryan Murphy production; think Glee (2009-2015), Scream Queens (2015-2016), etc. Known for her catty roles, Madison marks Emma Roberts's first appearance in the show. The third season of American Horror Story (2011-), also known as ‘Coven’, first introduces this part-time party girl, part-time witch (or sometimes both) as an obnoxious, disorderly starlet.

Whilst Madison is verbally abusive with the other pupils at her school, she proves she is not one to mess with when she overturns a bus full of frat boys due to multiple of them sexually assaulting her. Madison is the darkest character on this list, as she has morals.

She shows no remorse when she attempts to kill multiple people, including fellow witch Misty; however, she does develop over time. In episode eight, she shows anger and upset over Zoe’s death resulting in her sacrifice, emphasising that she will do anything for those she cares about.

Emma Roberts as Madison Montgomery in American Horror Story: Coven (2013) // Courtesy of FX on IMDB
Daisy Jones, Daisy Jones and the Six (2023)
“I had absolutely no interest in being somebody else’s muse”

Closing off this list is Riley Keough’s portrayal of brash and rebellious Daisy Jones in Amazon Primes' newest project. Adapted from the book with the same title, Daisy Jones and the Six follows a 1970s rock band hoping to make it in an era full of competition and uncertainty.

Daisy is the most honest of the main seven and doesn’t fear confrontation. She is seen asking music producer Teddy and co–writer Billy, why they need her and when they can’t give her an answer, she wastes no time to leave. She doesn’t mess around.

Her creativity is shown through her songwriting and rich vocals. She isn’t afraid to do things a little differently, taking a much bolder approach to songwriting. She chooses to go swimming and drink and do drugs through the process, contrasting Billy, who is a much more laid-back, lowkey artist, making them an excellent duo as they balance each other out.

Wind down with this ten-episode showstopper sure to make you laugh and rage during the 2023 Easter break.

Riley Keough as Daisy Jones in Daisy Jones and the Six (2023) // Courtesy of Lacey Terrell/Prime Video on IMDB

Featured Image: Monica (Courtney Cox) in Friends (1994-2004) // Courtesy of IMDB

Who is your favourite Aries character in Film & TV?