Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on Gloucester Road

By Rosa Mckay, Third Year English and Drama

The Croft Magazine // Rosa brings you a day in the life of Gloucester Road, time for a foodie exploration?

Breakfast – At the Well

Breakfast at The Well | Epigram / Rosa McKay

Not only does this quaint little café serve up the most delicious and affordable breakfasts, At the Well doubles up as a launderette meaning you can enjoy some good quality munch whilst you’re waiting for your clothes to wash!. It’s a great place to save a few pennies since every breakfast option is under £10 and you can eat for as little as £5.

Rosa’s top recommendations:

1.       Osaka-style Pancakes (£9.50) – Thick and fluffy, Japanese-style pancakes served with a Clarence Court egg, smoked streaky, Buxton Butchers bacon, Okonomiyaki sauce & Japanese mayo, topped with peppery spring onions and black sesame seeds.

2.       Peas Say It’s Vegan (£8.00) – arguably the best vegan breakfast in the whole of Bristol. It consists of toasted sourdough from Joe’s Bakery topped with At the Well’s signature smoky beans, fried mushrooms and a herby pea crush (this is to die for). Or, if you’re a meat-eater, splash out on the Brunchy McBrunchface – the meaty version of this delicious meal (pictured).

3.       Chai Dalgona (£4.30) – iced milk flavoured with their homemade spiced chai, finished with crunchy honeycomb – trust me, it’s worth every penny!

Lunch – FED

FED Bowl | Epigram / Rosa McKay

If you’re looking for somewhere to rinse your student loan, then look no further – FED is the perfect place. This eatery is without a doubt my favourite place to feast at in Bristol. Even their grilled cheese toasty is out of this world – mustard, garlic and the clandestine FED touch transforms what can so often be a boring and basic sandwich into something quite revolutionary.

Rosa’s top recommendations:

1.   The FED Bowl – a FED staple. Changing weekly, each bowl consists of three gourmet salads that often include their classic panzanella – a sweet combo of heritage tomatoes, roasted red pepper and pickled red onions; this bowl could convince even the biggest salad-phobe.

2.   Nduja baked pastry – airy puff pastry smothered in a spicy nduja paste, baked in the oven with an egg on top.

3.   Vegan chocolate cake – rich and tasty, my go-to sweet treat whenever I visit.

Dinner – Koocha

Koocha Mezze Bar | Epigram / Rosa Mckay

This colourful and quirky Persian-inspired restaurant can be enjoyed by all as it is exclusively vegan and is great for a group trip since their food is great for sharing. The flavoursome mezze plates are enough on their own to tingle your tastebuds, but don’t let this dissuade you from trying one of their signature cocktails – the ‘Strawbrizzle’ is a particular favourite of mine, although this one is slightly more spenny so you’ll need to save up those coins…

Rosa’s top recommendations:

1.   Artichoke dip (£4.75) – creamy, salty and nutty perfection. Walnuts and artichokes are blended together and garnished with pomegranate seeds to create the dreamiest dip you could ever imagine.

2.   Gaymeh (£4.75) – a traditional Persian dish made up of a tomato-based aubergine and yellow split pea stew.

3.   Za’atar Flatbread (£3.00) – this stuff is addictive. Tangy, lemony and flaky bread that works beautifully to mop up your mezze.

featured imaged: Epigram / Rosa Mckay

Time for a trip to Gloucester road?