Review: Kurupt FM @ Marble Factory

In a night of explosive garage, tongue-in-cheek bars and heavy basslines, Kurupt FM did not disappoint on the Bristol leg of their UK tour.

By Josh Templeman, Digital Music Editor

Kurupt FM’s growth has been nothing short of incredible; from what started out as a small BBC 3 mockumentary series, People Just Do Nothing, the group has now released their own film and regularly sell out venues up and down the country. Last year saw the release of their debut album, The Greatest Hits (Part 1), with an exciting features list including D Double E, Jaykae and General Levy, with the album peaking at number eight in the UK charts; this year, it went on tour.

If you don’t already know about Kurupt FM the group consists of five core members: MC Grindah, DJ Beats, Decoy, Steve and Chabuddy G. The storyline of People Just Do Nothing sees the group broadcasting their Brentford-based pirate radio station from Steves’ grandmother’s flat, with the group largely playing garage and drum & bass. Though the group are comedians, they have become a staple on the festival circuit due to their ability to get a crowd bouncing – plus, MC Grindah, who in the past was actually a garage MC, is actually very skilled at what he does.

The night saw MC Grindah in top form, flexing his vocal versatility, spitting over garage, grime, drum & bass, jungle – pretty much anything but house, which he very openly despises. Notably, the group’s performance ‘Original Rudeboyz’ earned a particularly rousing reaction from the crowd, whilst arguably their most well-known song ‘Summertime’ had the whole venue full of energy. But it’s not just their music that brings the energy, the group’s infectious chemistry and performative abilities on stage are what really make a Kurupt FM event special.

Review: $NOT - Ethereal
Review: Manchester Collective @ St George's Bristol

It’s hard to imagine things slowing down for the group; scheduled for a busy summer, Kurupt FM will be up and down the country across plenty of festivals, excitingly including Bristol’s very own Love Saves the Day, in which the group will be headlining the Thursday of the festival.

Featured image: Chuff Media

Have you seen Kurupt FM?