Bristol City Councillor Carla Denyer elected as Green Party co-leader

Carla Denyer, Bristol City councillor and Green Party parliamentary candidate for Bristol West, has today been named as joint leader of the Green Party alongside Green Party politician Adrian Ramsay.

By Filiz Gurer, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Carla Denyer, Bristol City Councillor and Green Party parliamentary candidate for Bristol West, has today been named as joint leader of the Green Party alongside Green Party politician Adrian Ramsay.

The pair have been unveiled as the new co-leaders of the Green Party of England and Wales.

Denyer, who has been the councillor for the Bristol ward of Clifton Down since 2015, was notable in bringing about Bristol City Councils declaration of a climate emergency in 2018. The declaration, which was the first in Europe, committed Bristol to go carbon neutral by 2030.

Denyer ran for co-leader alongside Adrian Ramsay, who served as the deputy leader of the Green Party of England and Wales from 2008 to 2012, and who was previously a councillor in Norwich between 2003 to 2011.

The pair, who stood on a joint ticket, have been elected after receiving 44 per cent of the first preference votes, and securing 62 per cent of the second round vote including second preferences.

Speaking out on their success, local councillor Denyer said We are at a crucial moment in history and it is clear that the other major political parties have failed to bring about the change that is necessary. More than ever before, it is vital that Green policies are adopted for the benefit of our climate and our communities.

We are thrilled to have been elected as Green Party leaders, but this is now where the hard work begins, to elect more MPs and more councillors across the country. It is only by doing this that we can make the difference we all so desperately want to see.

We are so grateful to all of the members who voted for us at such an important time for our party, the country and the world at large.’

Denyer is one of 24 Green councillors on Bristol City Council, where the Greens are the joint biggest party on the Council alongside Labour.

The Green Party announced its leadership by-election in July, following the resignations of Jonathan Bartley and Sian Berry.

Featured image: https://carlaandadrian.co.uk/