Spending a second birthday in lockdown

The Croft Magazine // With the anniversary of the first lockdown now behind us, Dayana considers the impact the pandemic has had on realising what's important in our lives – and how to survive another round of lockdown birthdays.

By Dayana Soroko, Second Year, English

It’s time to celebrate COVID-19’s first birthday! Luckily for some of us, this Easter break means we will be spending a second birthday in lockdown.

Where has the time gone? Are our limited years of youth slipping from our grasp? Will you see us, in 10 years’ time, sneaking into nightclubs and pubs with our 30-year-old friends in pathetic attempts to reclaim our youth?

Will our nights out be the same as they used to be? | Epigram / Rosie Angel-Clark

Will we live long enough to become the villains, the socially inept group of middle-aged men and women, WAP-ing our way across the dancefloor? Let your imagination run wild to decipher what that even means.

I was thrown into the pandemic as a 19-year-old girl and unfortunately, I will not be gloriously rising out of the ashes like a phoenix

This April 6th I will be turning 21. That’s a big number. I mean, it’s the oldest I have ever been and in most countries, it’s a pretty big deal. I was thrown into the pandemic as a 19-year-old girl and unfortunately, I will not be gloriously rising out of the ashes like a phoenix. I will be trudging like a turtle into my 21st year of existence, still in a pandemic.

I am planning to utilise the university’s policy which allows us one round trip to see family and friends. Which is code for: I will do everything in my power to spend my birthday with more than my mum and 18 rabbits this time round.

When I first heard the term ‘Zoom fatigue’ I immediately rolled my eyes. How first-world-problem of us to come up with a term for prolonged FaceTime calls. How wrong I was. There is a kind of human authenticity that cannot be captured over Zoom – body language, eye contact and the refuge you can take in comfortable silence with another human presence.

The art of strategic placement at a dinner table to ensure maximum social cohesion, the subtle smiles and glances at your friends, being greeted with a loud and revolting burp by your housemate when you enter the kitchen. Just the little things.

In the meantime, I will be curating a party playlist consisting of the lyrical genius of Taio Cruz and others alike

If I could ask for anything for my birthday this year, is to be able to simply reside and revel in my friend’s essences. To lift the weight of the social responsibility of conversation off my shoulders and to merely exist in the background of a conversation, or multiple conversations. To observe other human interaction, and to enjoy it, without the pressure of having to contribute.

As our second round of lockdown birthdays rolls around, take pride in the fact that you are here, healthy and alive.

In the meantime, I will be curating a party playlist consisting of the lyrical genius of Taio Cruz and others alike. Nothing can beat the song writing talent he showcases in ‘Dynamite’ with ‘I hit the floor ‘cause that’s my plans, plans, plans, plans/ I’m wearing all my favourite brands, brands, brands, brands’.

Featured image: Epigram / Rosie Angel-Clark