The Ultimate Xmas song ranking

The Croft Magazine // These festive faves are the soundtrack to my season.

By Tara Ghias, Third Year History

1. Fairytale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl

This personally has to be my favourite Christmas song ever. I cannot really pinpoint what it is about this song that I love so much but the melody and tune just transport me into another world. The voices of Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan clash texturally but also complement each other somehow. The message of the song isn’t that of a stereotypically uplifting Christmas tune, instead it focuses on heartbreak and bleak times.

2. Last Christmas - Wham!

The soulful voice of George Michael touches everyone’s hearts as this song navigates heartbreak and loss within the festive season.

3. All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey

The Princess of Pop released this catchy tune in 1994 and it has truly stood the test of time. Topping the charts every year around the festive period, it looks like this hit will be around for a few more years yet.

4. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid

As we all know, various musical legends lent their voices to this iconic track. How many can you correctly identify?

5. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Absolutely everyone will have sung this tune in assembly at primary school around Christmas time. Not only does this song scream Home Alone (1990), but it has such a groovy vibe that you’ll just have to jump up and dance along.

6. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - The Jackson 5

This song really gets me into the Christmas mood and it’s featured throughout Nativity! (2009) which tells the story of the loveable Mr Poppy and a hilarious group of schoolchildren.

7. Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms

Again, this is a classic that will no doubt take you right back to when the festive season would take over your primary school. With easy lyrics to follow and plenty of jolly images, this old-school tune is a must-play at Christmas.

8. Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade

Whether your tipple of choice is Baileys or mulled wine, after a couple drinks you’ll definitely be belting this song out at the top of your lungs.

9. It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas - Michael Bublé

It’s that time of year again when Michael Bublé emerges from his cave and we all remember that he exists. The smooth tone of his voice really puts me in a warm and fuzzy Christmas mood and somehow transports me beside the fireplace and with my family.

10. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard

You probably remember this for its weird and wacky music video. Though it is a likeable tune, I don’t think it is memorable enough to be placed higher up on the list.

Featured Image: Epigram / Orin Carlin

Check out The Croft over on Instagram!

A post shared by The Croft Magazine (@thecroftmagazine_)