Halloween home makeover

The Croft Magazine // Here are some freaky home decor pieces to spice up your humble student abode.

By Orin Carlin, The Croft Editor

Frankly after such a grisly few months, surely we should all be cowering from anything that could scare the living daylights out of us? Yes, you’d have thought so.

But alas, for some reason we Bristol students have an irrational adoration for the spooky season (this is probably something to do with the sheer amusement of both wearing a silly costume and being intoxicated in public) and so it is imperative that you don’t let the side down with your home decor.

Furry friend

Spider, £5 | Wilko

Dilapidated student houses are full of creepy crawlies, desperately seeking respite from the cold Bristol air. Instead, perhaps consider inviting in a minibeast who won’t turn your home into a health hazard zone.

‘Let the challenge…begin!’

Raven, £4 | Wilko 

Very reminiscent of CBBC’s namesake programme. If it was your childhood dream to complete ‘Way of the Warrior’ or if you secretly fancied that strange, bearded Scot then this should clearly be your (very upmarket) ornament of choice.

Un Choco Loco

Chocolate skull, £30 | Not On The High Street 

A chocolate skull that reminds me of the veritable thrill that is Disney’s Coco (2017). Obviously a bit of an unnecessary splurge, maybe you can convince one of your more frivolous flatmates?

Pumpkin power

Pumpkin fairy lights, £2.50 | Wilko 

A stone cold classic. A piece of cheap tat (no offence), seemingly specifically designed for the student dwelling. It’ll fit right in with your house’s homemade pièce de résistance, an old wine bottle with a candle stuck inside. Classy.

Nine lives

Cat skeleton, £6 | Wilko 

Hm. Bit morbid? My mother wasn’t a fan. I sort of rate the attempt to spice it up and branch out from what could have been just another boring human skeleton. Also, nice arch. Every yoga fan’s dream?

Zero chill python

Snake, £8.89 | Amazon

This guy is clearly having a really bad day. Could provide service as a unique centrepiece, a sort of venomous conversation-starter for a six-person Halloween banquet?

If these don't do it for you, I don't know what will. Happy Halloween!

Featured Image: Unsplash / NeONBRAND

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper