An ode to summer fashion

The Croft Magazine // Sophie Hutchison tells us her fashion favourites from a memorable 2020 summer.

By Sophie Hutchison, Third Year, History of Art

With summer ending and the chilly weather returning, I thought I’d reminisce on my fashion favourites from this summer. Thanks to lockdown, it feels like the majority of the year has been spent indoors; however, for the few occasions that required a change from pyjamas these were my style go-tos.

High Waisted Wide Leg Jeans

High rise wide leg jeans | ZARA | £29.99

You have probably seen Instagram’s influencers and off-duty models rocking these jeans all season; a throwback to the ‘90s and makes your legs look twice as long. They can be dressed up or down, I partnered them with a pair of platform sneakers and a tucked-in sweatshirt for a more casual look, or dressed them up with a high neck top and heels. Zara’s Hi-Rise Full Length Jeans are an affordable option, whilst Weekday’s slightly more expensive Rowe Extra High Straight Jeans have been getting lots of love on social media.

Midi Dresses

Dress from Topshop, bag from ASOS, shoes from Eytys | Sophie Hutchison / Epigram

The midi dress is not only comfortable, but makes you look like you've put far more effort in than you actually have. I wholeheartedly believe there is no occasion where a midi dress would not be appropriate. Whether it was frolicking in a field or going out for dinner, the humble midi-dress has been a definite friend of mine over these last few months. I dressed this down with trainers for a Scandi-cool look or chunky combat boots for edginess. This dress can also be transformed from day to eveningwear with mules and some well-selected jewellery.

Knitwear

Brandy Melville vest and argyle jumper, ZARA purple and green cardigans | Sophie Hutchinson / Epigram

Knitwear is suitable for all seasons, it was a hit in summer and there's no sign of this trend fading away; grandad-chic appears to be very in right now. For hotter days, I layered a sweater vest over a white t-shirt. Argyle jumpers pair well with mini-skirts, and the more colourful the knit, the better. I found cardigans were perfect for layering, and if you’re too warm simply tie it around your shoulders. There is always loads of knitwear in charity shops, so it’s definitely best to check there first before resorting to other less sustainable options.

Mules

Tangle wedge mules in lime | ASOS DESIGN | £25.20

Mules are the perfect lazy girl shoes and are another item that can really elevate an outfit. I found a simple black pair of strappy mules went with nearly every outfit this summer. There is such a wide variety to choose from – low block heels are comfy and easy to walk in, whilst these ASOS Tangle Wedge Mules give off major Polly Pocket vibes.

Shoulder/Baguette Bags

Ice croc Eva shoulder bag | JW PEI | £29.00

Whilst the return of some year 2000 trends have faced a little controversy (looking at you, Juicy tracksuits), the baguette bag seems to be loved universally. Not only are they practical – no more endlessly rummaging in your bag, they have been a trendy addition to any summer look. The Eva Collection offers a beautiful selection of shoulder bags.

What were your summer favourites? Let us know.

Young Goat: Style edit

The perfect graduation gift with Bristol alumni’s Amschela

Featured Image: Sophie Hutchison / Epigram