Meet the UoB Charity Fashion Show model who wants to get us talking about mental health

University of Bristol Charity Fashion Show model, Ama Kwaasi, reveals more about herself and her fashion choices, as well as her own personal connection to mental health and how the Charity Fashion Show can help

By May Garland, Second Year English

The Croft Magazine // University of Bristol Charity Fashion Show model, Ama Kwaasi, reveals more about herself and her fashion choices, as well as her own personal connection to mental health and how the Charity Fashion Show can help

The University of Bristol Charity Fashion Show is a showcase of an exciting mix of local and national brands with an eclectic range of individual styles. The student-led non-profit organisation is raising money to support the charity Off The Record, a local cause that provides mental health support to the Bristol community.

As well as encouraging conversation and recognition of a serious issue affecting our society, the event promotes integration and connection between all areas of the University community. There will be plenty of fashion inspiration to soak up and the show should prove to be a fun distraction from the stresses of student life.

In anticipation of the Febuary show, we got to know Ama Kwaasi, a third year Bio-Chem student and model for this exciting event. So, without further ado, some quick fire questions to meet one of the models behind this great cause.

How did you find out about the University of Bristol charity fashion show?

I found out about it through the casting director who encouraged me to come to the auditions.

How would you describe your personal style?

I would say my style is a mix of street wear and girly clothing. If I feel like I look cool then I’m set!

True to her word, Ama Kwaasi oozes an effortless style 

What is your connection to the cause of mental health?

I have learnt at university that mental health is as important as your physical health.  Also coming from a background where mental health is less understood; I feel more should be done to raise awareness and open the conversation about mental health so it’s less of a taboo subject.

What do you want to achieve through participating in the show?

I have never done anything like this before, I think I will benefit from putting myself out there and making new friends.

Talk Club: Why we should all talk more about our mental fitness

And finally, have you got any advice for people struggling with mental health?

Communication is very important, talk to someone about it! There are loads of helplines and organizations that would be honored to listen. This includes; Samaritans (116 123) and Bristol Nightline (01179 266 266).

If you fancy an escape from the mundane responsibilities of the week and want to support a local charity, check out the University of Bristol Charity Fashion Show; 7pm 13th February at SWX.

Featured: University of Bristol Charity Fashion Show

Find The Croft Magazine inside every copy of Epigram Newspaper