Seasonal eating for spring

The ubiquitous presence of every kind of ingredient under the sun in British supermarkets these days is amazing. Not so long ago our ancestors relied on the bounty of the seasons to enjoy certain specialties at the table

By Josephine Mosely,

The ubiquitous presence of every kind of ingredient under the sun in British supermarkets these days is amazing. Not so long ago our ancestors relied on the bounty of the seasons to enjoy certain specialties at the table.

A recent study conducted by BBC good food, however, revealed that nowadays we have a rather skewed perception of how to eat seasonally. Whilst 86% of those surveyed agreed with the necessity of seasonality and 78% claimed to shop seasonally not even 1 in 10 Brits are thought now to know at what time of the year some of the most recognized fruit and vegetables are in season.

Is it really such a travesty to enjoy a strawberry at the Christmas table or Brussels sprouts in the summertime? With spring just around the corner perhaps it’s the perfect time of year to consider the implications of seasonality and the impact of our own purchasing and eating habits. Springtime is, after all, synonymous with the start of something new - it never hurts to add a bit of variety and creativity into the mix.

So what should we be looking out for as the spring sunshine starts to thaw the darker winter days? Highlights include asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli, rocket, spring onions, celeriac, chicory, leek and watercress. In terms of fruits, there are excellent crumbles to be made from the rhubarb and Bramley apples that will soon be at their ripest. And from further afield, grapefruits will be particularly good in the coming months.

It only takes a brief contemplation of the benefits of seasonal eating to realise just how positive it can be.

Namely, in terms of nutritional value seasonal foods carry a lot of beneficial qualities. The fresher the produce and the shorter the time between its source and our plates, the more nutritional value it retains. Seasonal, fresh produce is harvested when it is most ripe which can in turn add better flavour too!

Perhaps the most compelling argument for seasonal shopping lies in the fact of supporting local producers, as, more often than not, products in season will be abundantly sourced from nearby. This works in tandem with the reality that, in buying produce sourced locally, we are not only doing our bit for the environment by avoiding the extensive food miles of goods sourced abroad but also engaging with the local community, supporting local producers.

Whilst its true that students can’t always be too picky given the restraints of the student budget, opting for seasonal produce can be more economical than many would think. According to the simple laws of supply and demand the more something is readily available the greater likelihood that it won’t do too much damage to the bank balance. Seasonal goods are cheaper and easier for farmers to produce and require less human intervention.

Bristol is really a perfect place to engage in eating seasonally, we are so lucky to have a wide range of incredible restaurants, food markets and grocers just on the doorstep! In terms of places to dine seasonally, Wilson’s, conveniently located on Chandos Road in Redland, pride themselves on preparing fresh and seasonally inspired dishes. Fishers seafood restaurant in Clifton offers an entire menu sourced seasonally, locally and ethically. Just a little further afield, The Ethicurean, situated in Bristol’s Mendip hills, offers up a menu inspired around fresh vegetables grown on site in their kitchen gardens.

Featured image: Unsplash / Annie Spratt

Have your say about this article! Email us or comment below!