Outdoor drinking spots in Bristol

With the recent burst of good weather, work is the last thing on our minds. Why not pretend that it is summer and head outside for a drink!

By Imogen Rogers, Deputy Living Editor

The Apple Cider Boat

The Apple is a converted Dutch barge in Bristol’s Old City serving an extensive and unrivalled range of local ciders. Its position on the River Avon makes for a laid-back and peaceful atmosphere, perfect to spend the afternoon basking in the sunlight. The friendly staff also offer free samples, giving you a chance to try before you buy!

Grain Barge

A mile further along the River Avon and you will reach ‘Grain Barge’, another converted barge – but this one specialising in beer! They stock a range of local Bristol Beers on tap and have an extensive and ever changing range of craft beers from around the UK. Furthermore, they often hold local art exhibitions, live music acts and Monday is quiz night (£1 entry!). It is also part of the ‘Along the Harbour’ walk which is a great afternoon's activity for when the sun is shining.

The Brewhouse & Kitchen

The Brewhouse & Kitchen on Cotham Hill has a converted wasteland turned pub garden across the road, which is great suntrap. Moreover, its close proximity to campus means this is the perfect pub for an end of the day pint, or maybe even a middle of the day pint!

57192793458__2A21301F-B888-4B2F-BBC1-925810205017
Epigram / Josie Roberts

The Blue Lagoon

For the cocktail lovers amongst us ‘The Blue Lagoon’ on the lively Gloucester Road is the perfect place. This café-bar-pub is perfect for any time of day, but, with live music every night I recommend spending a relaxed evening on the terrace listening to music whilst taking advantage of the 2-for-1 cocktail deal.

The Social

‘The Social’ sits in the heart of Stokes Croft and with its heated covered garden provides the perfect place to drink outside even when the weather is not as warm as it looks. With cocktail Tuesdays, wine Wednesdays and Gin Thursdays, these money-off deals ensure that even when sticking to the student budget you can still enjoy something other than Sainsbury’s basics alcohol.

Zero Degrees Microbrewery

Despite being part of a chain, ‘Zero Degrees Microbrewery’ is a unique and friendly bar. A converted old tram shed and winners of the Architectural Design Award; this glass building overlooks Bristol Old City so you can enjoy a drink in the sun even if you prefer to sit indoors. With an onsite brewery, and incredible food menu it’s a great and novel place to go if the parents are visiting (so they can pay!).

Featured image: Epigram / Josie Roberts

How are you enjoying the sun? Let us know!

Facebook / Epigram / Twitter