Preview/ Yasiin Bey @ Bristol O2 Academy

Yasiin Bey takes to Bristol's O2 Academy to perform his seminal Mos Def record, The Ecstatic

By Bethany Marris, Online Music Editor

Better known under the moniker ‘Mos Def’, hip-hop heavyweight Yasiin Bey will be headlining the stage of Bristol’s O2 Academy on Sunday 3rd February. In 2016, following the scandalous materialisation that he had been residing illegally in South Africa since 2014, Bey announced his retirement from music.

Despite a string of farewell concerts in the US during late 2016, into 2017, the artist hasn’t been able to resist the stage. In one of many farewell interviews, Bey had told Billboard magazine that if given the chance to ‘do rap’ again in a ‘different kind of way’, he would, and with a three-stop UK tour this year, Yasiin is doing just that.

Rather than showcasing fresh material, the artist will be marking ten years of Mos Def’s seminal record ‘The Ecstatic’, performing the tracklist from start to finish. An incredibly special performance from one of hip-hop’s ‘greatest’ is to be anticipated.

We can also expect to hear a selection of other tracks from Bey’s vast discography, and most likely a few from the legendary ‘Black on Both Sides’; an LP celebrating its 20th birthday at the end of this year.

With the evening’s line up announced, support can be expected from Kent born rapper Jhest, alongside Gardna x Kreep, Rogue & Relly, Mista Bibs and Bristol based Sip The Juice DJs.

Click here for more information on the event.

Featured Image: Mos Def/ Downtown Records

Are you going to see Yasiin Bey? Let us know!