Review/ DMA's @ Anson Rooms

They’re not a loquacious bunch, but they don’t need to be', Harry Goldsmith reviews DMA's at Anson Rooms...

By Harry Goldsmith, Fourth Year, French and Spanish

'They’re not a loquacious bunch, but they don’t need to be', Harry Goldsmith reviews DMA's at Anson Rooms...

I was telling a friend recently about how I felt that music, especially live music, is strangely paradoxical in how it is both collective and individual at the same time. I was greeted with a look of bemusement fading to consternation, mostly because I could not adequately articulate this thought to him. I just wish he was with me to see Australian rockers DMA’s play a packed-out Anson Rooms – he would have easily seen what I meant.

It felt deeply satisfying to attend a concert and for it to resonate. From the first rip-roaring riff, I was given the impression that every song that was performed was designed to produce an emotional reaction on behalf of myself, the spectator. With every sad song, I felt a cathartic kind of sadness which enabled me to enjoy and engage with the band. Each of the group’s faster tunes had me jumping around with reckless abandon. However, this is just my experience.

About halfway through the set I was afforded a moment to breathe. I was subsequently able to detach myself slightly from the music to appreciate the experiences of the people around me. The two friends who I went with were even more profoundly affected by the band’s performance, because of their personal associations of the music to a wonderful time spent in Australia. I saw a man ahead of me excitedly turn to his friend to exclaim: “This is Oasis!” It is remarkable how, despite having only burst onto the scene a few years back, DMA’s can touch every individual in the crowd with their songs whilst also creating a truly collective concert experience.

Frontman Tommy O’Dell made light work of whipping the crowd into raptures with anthemic tunes like 'Feels Like 37' and 'Lay Down' and there was not a stayed voice in the room following his announcement of each chorus in the band’s breakout tune, 'Delete'.

They’re not a loquacious bunch, but they don’t need to be. For a relatively new band, their debut album being released only two years ago, on stage they carry a remarkable swagger and charisma which effortlessly kept the audience entranced from the beginning to the very end. Such swagger and charisma were exemplified by O’Dell who, during instrumental segments, would beckon towards the crowd arms outstretched, asking for more. We, the crowd, were never reticent to reply.

This confidence, along with the group’s formidable collection of songs, has led to comparisons with the likes of Oasis and The Stone Roses, with the former’s frontman Liam Gallagher offering his endorsement of the band’s debut album on Twitter. I witnessed a band capable of thrilling and affecting in equal measure. The Britpop Revival is in good hands.

Featured Image: Duma Flows/ Duma Flickr

Want to write a review for Epigram Music? Get in touch...

Facebook // Epigram Music // Twitter