Believe it or not, today is National Spinach Day. Love it or hate it, this leafy green can be found everywhere, and is a great source of iron, vitamins A, C, & K, and magnesium (as well as many others minerals besides). Deputy Food Editor Holly Penhale shares her recipe for mini mushroom, ricotta and spinach filo pies to tempt you to celebrate all things spinach today!

Serves 4 (or four lunches); Cooking time: 40mins

• 250g Chestnut Mushrooms
  • 200g fresh spinach
  • 250g pot of ricotta cheese
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 egg
  • 6 sheets of filo pastry

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, finely slice the garlic and fry gently in a litle olive oil before adding in the sliced mushrooms.
  2. When the mushrooms have softened a litte, spoon in the ricotta and season the mixture generously with salt and pepper.
  3. When the consistency is creamy, stir in all the spinach allowing it to wilt a little before turning off the heat.
  4. Grease a cupcake or muffin tray with a little butter and cut each of the filo sheets into quarters.
  5. Line each of the cups with 2 squares of filo and spoon a heaped tablespoon of the spinach and ricotta mixture into each one.
  6. Scrunch the overhanging filo pastry into the middle to seal and coat each one with the beaten egg using a pastry brush.
  7. Place in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes or until the filo is golden and crispy on the outside.

Tip: To reheat, place back in the oven for 20 minutes on a baking tray. For a little extra cheesiness, try adding a sprinkle of cheddar to each parcel before sealing them.

spinach
Epigram / Holly Penhale

*Featured image credit: flickr / justcooknyc

Share your spinach stories with us below!

Instagram // Epigram // Twitter