UBWFC 1’s comfortably dispatch Exeter 1’s as they eye up the Premiership Title.

A rampant 4-0 display secures UBWFC's first clean sheet of the season as well as their third win in four games. Could we be looking at potential champions?

By Faniki Deche, Sports Editor

University of Bristol Women’s Football Club first team demolished the University of Exeter in a rampant 4-0 display that continues their impressive start to the 2024/25 BUCS Premier South campaign.

There was a lot to be excited about heading into this fixture from a Bristol perspective. So far the UBWFC 1’s had stamped their authority on the BUCS Women Premier South. Winning two and drawing one from their first three including a statement 3-1 victory away to Cardiff Met 1’s in their previous fixture. Exeter 1’s thus far had only one game to their name that was a thrilling 3-3 draw against Hartpury 1’s. No matter the outcome, we were sure to get plenty of goalmouth action.

It really did not take long for the deadlock to be broken as UBWFC burst out the blocks to gain an early lead. A looping cross from Ocean Latto was powered home by the indomitable Gloria Kelly who rose above the keeper to head Bristol into the lead with just seven minutes gone. Exeter responded with a decent spell of possession with their set pieces carrying the most threat. Bristol's goalkeeper, Amy Garrigan was forced into a fine save to deny a powerful shot from the edge of the box coming from Exeter's quick short corner routine.

However, the main issue with Exeter’s tactical setup was their rest defence. They lined up in a 4-3-3 but whenever they attacked, there would be considerable space between their defensive and midfield line, exposing their back four to the attacking trio of Ocean, Gloria and Lilia Dempsey. All that UBWFC had to do was catch them on the break, play it into their front three between the lines and allow them to pull apart Exeter’s backline whilst their midfield hurried back to support. What made things worse for Exeter was the fact that UBWFC were excellent switching the play quickly and isolating their wingers one vs one against their fullbacks to deliver deadly crosses into the box. Ocean on the left, in particular, was inspired. Her pace and trickery on the left side along with her ferocious crosses to the back post gave flashes of a young Ryan Giggs.

Image courtesy of India Jarman-Tew

With that being said, Bristol had to rely on an error from Exeter’s keeper to double their lead. A poor goal kick landed straight to the feet of Gloria who comfortably dispatched it to make it two for Bristol and a whopping six in four for herself this season. The game was now firmly one sided as errors began to creep into Exeter’s game and it turned into matter of when rather than if Bristol would make it three. With eight minutes to go to half time, Anna Williams was fouled in the box and captain, Eve Rhind, powered home the penalty. The keeper got a hand to it but was unable to steer it wide off the post.

Three then quickly turned into four as Ocean got the goal she deserved as she found the bottom with a low hard drive from the edge of the box. With only 45 minutes gone, the question of three points had emphatically been answered. It was now just a matter of how many.

Image courtesy of India Jarman-Tew

Perhaps it was due to complacency, but if any criticism was to be made at UBWFC particularly in the second half, it would revolve around their lack of ruthlessness in front of goal and their propensity to switch off in defence. The second half was just a tale of missed chances. In fairness, Lilia looked sharp on the right side as she comfortably beat her fullback and flashed a venomous cross across goal with no one at the end of it. Freya Gordon looked a lot more commanding in the middle with her long range efforts increasingly threatening particularly her left footed strike that cannoned off the cross bar. But with all that being said, Bristol should have scored at least a couple more and although their attacks were sparse, Exeter were able to find gaps within Bristol's defence. A ball in behind early in the half cut through UBWFC’s midfield and backline to find their centre forward one on one but her effort went tamely wide. What was more concerning, however, was a cross from their left flank that dragged the entire backline, leaving their right winger alone in the box. It was only thanks to a poor touch and the recovery from Lilia that UBWFC maintained their clean sheet.

Overall, the second half was less eventful as UBWFC 1’s cruised to victory. With strong wing play and a lethal centre forward, expect plenty of more goals from these girls in the future. Their record right now stands at three wins and one draw in four matches with twelve goals scored and four conceded. If this clean sheet is a sign of future defensive solidity then we might be looking at potential champions of the 2024/25 BUCS Women’s Premier South.

Lineup:

Goalkeeper: Amy Garrigan

Defenders: Annie Ackerman, Eve Rhind, Sophie Bater, Amy Hawkes

Midfielders: Freya Gordon, Alice Cappell, Anna Williams (Niamh Carty)

Wingers: Lilia Dempsey, Ocean Latto

Centre Forward: Gloria Kelly (Ffion Robinson),

Featured image: University of Bristol Women's Football Club