Review: 30 Years of Metalheadz @ Motion

A momentous birthday party for the label was more than a victory lap, but a heartfelt remembrance of how far the group have come.

By Benji Chapman, Music Editor

Metalheadz was founded in 1994 through the collaboration of actor, producer, DJ, and graffiti artist Clifford Price (widely known as Goldie) and the DJ duo Kemistry & Storm. Emerging at a pivotal moment when UK rave music was in flux, Metalheadz captured the waning days of jungle’s reign in the club scene and evolved it into what we now recognisee as drum and bass. As the genre continues to morph in unexpected directions, Metalheadz remains a steadfast voice, championing underground talent at unparalleled volumes.

Drum and bass labels in the UK signify more than just good music. A noteworthy yet often overlooked chapter in Metalheadz’s story is the pioneering role of co-founders Kemistry & Storm.

Among the first women in the male-dominated drum and bass scene, they epitomized Metalheadz’s forward-thinking ethos. The label, with its dedication to progressiveness, artistic integrity, and empathy, transcends being just a drum and bass label—it’s a movement.

Responses from members of the group to the recent passing of DJ Randall in July are a poignant reminder of this. Celebrations of his life through a flood of tributes, dedicated mixes, and murals suggest that this defining sense of thoughtfulness guides the label despite its association with hedonistic party-going.

Honoured locally with a mural by Bristol-based artist Jody, the city's solidarity with the label was a firm salute to its recognisable causes and ethos.

A post shared by J O D Y • T H K (@jody_artist)

Whilst Bristol's homage to Randall is unsurprising given its association with drum and bass, it's living proof that major cities like London are only as musically impressive with the support of Bristol's music scene.

A graffiti playground for Goldie himself, the city was also a visual source of inspiration for the artist who most recently came to Eastville to dedicate a mural to the label following Jody's work honouring DJ Randall.

Sitting adjacent to the DJ decks throughout the night was a small luminescent cube boasting the classic skull logo in solidarity, situated in front of a spread of dynamic video projections that mirrored the image.

These visual associations to Metalheadz are integral to its success and ethos, with the logo symbolising the undying timelessness of the label, proven for an anniversary occasion during a time when the arts are under increasing financial pressure.

Metalheadz @ Motion | Benji Chapman

A palpable feeling of togetherness was guided by this image, working sonically in tandem with the efforts of the many DJs and MCs that formed the night's extensive lineup.

With Doc Scott - producer of the first Metalheadz track in 1996 - sitting next to up-and-coming talent like Benny L, there was a strong association between old and new members of the group as a guiding thread in the label's three-decade-long history.

Somewhat caught in a tug-of-war between two gig rooms, members of the crowd would jump between the Marble Factory and Motion's separate stages to catch DJ Seinfeld's set only a room away.

A strong repertoire of familiar faces nonetheless remained rooted, usually older members of the audience, who were adorned fittingly with signature Stüssy and Metalheadz clothing.

Metalheadz @ Motion | Benji Chapman

Hits like 'VIP Drums' and 'Shadow People' were caught in teased glimpses before they were cheered and inevitably reloaded to the grinning pleasure of the DJ responsible.

Each artist was as avid to showcase the work of their label's counterparts as their own, with a call for a moment of remembrance for Randall taking place during the opening of Goldie's closing set with Special Request.

Facing the feeling of loss in the room with defiance, the two DJs brought the night to a close with a send-off that matched the anniversary occasion. The closing acts maintained a continued selection of killer tracks, such as Goldie's favourite 'Rockstar 81', early into the morning.

Maintaining an unusually concentrated face compared to his signature metallic grin, a recognised sense of loss marked the night, but it was a feeling that only accentuated the authentic value of the label.

Featured Image: Adam Guest

Who is your favourite artist on the Metalheadz label?