Third Year History of Art student Miranda Smith discusses her favourite fashion essential, and explains why it's not going out of style anytime soon

Hard as we try to hate them, as much as we complain about their lack of comfort, the skinny jean is and will always remain a wardrobe staple - one which we all rely on.

กางเกงยีนส์เอวสูง สีนี้สวยมากๆ แต่งขาดสองข้าง ทรงเป๊ะ เข้ารูปกระชับสัดส่วน สวยมากๆ ราคา 390 บาท. “ลดเหลือ 300 บาท” มี S M L XL ✔️ส่งฟรี ✔️ถ่ายจากสินค้าจริง สนใจ Direct IG มาถามได้จ้า Line : @sheisjeans รหัสสินค้า:SHE80012 #กางเกงยีนส์ #กางเกงยีนส์ผู้หญิง #กางเกงยีนส์แฟชั่น #skinnyjeans

A post shared by SHE กางเกงยีนส์ (@sheisjeans_) on

It is one of those items that if you are struggling to find an outfit, either for day or night, that is always worth bearing in mind. The ‘jeans and a nice top’ rule can fix any semi-fancy sartorial dilemma. However, they also prove to be perfect for a whole host of situations. Feeling a bit down and grey? Skinnies and an oversized jumper. Not sure what to wear on a first date? Skinnies and a leather jacket. Running late to lectures? Skinnies and a hoody. Hungover as hell and your mum is coming for lunch? Skinnies and an oversized tee.

They are even more practical now that it is getting colder. I always find skinnies keep me warmer than wider leg jeans because they eliminate the draft you get from the ankle up the bottom of the leg which is something surely nobody wants. Also I always find in winter when I am wearing huge, thick jumpers and fluffy coats that a nice skinny leg beneath can balance out the proportions so there’s not too much bagginess going on. And if it is a bit warmer on some days, tucking in a thinner jumper or a long sleeved tee has that ‘effortlessly’ cool vibe about it -the perfect amount of smart and casual.

As much as we try to force them out of style, by purposefully shoving them to the backs of our wardrobes in favours of straight leg jeans, or wide leg trousers, or flares (which I am extremely over now), the skinnies will always bounce back. There is no other pair of trouser which will get as much wear in my opinion.

Bit late to the table today but better late than never as they say... 🤩This is my #myfashionfeels post because these new jeans feel bloody brilliant! ✨👖👌💕❤️ . . How difficult is it to find a good pair of jeans? The right shade of denim, the right coverage (jegging vs Jean), a pair that doesn’t fall down, doesn’t enhance your muffin top, ones that make your bum look good, ones that aren’t too short/long ?? Seriously, I struggle because I have 36” leg length and my choice of jeans is limited. I’ve been wearing @topshop #jonijeans for a while now and they just don’t quite fit right but I’ve just got on with it. In their 20% off special on Halloween, I decided to go back to the style I used to buy from them which is #topshopleighjeans - they are a mid rise skinny fit and I love them. Why did I ever think I was a high waisted #topshopjonijeans convert? Thank you @topshop for bringing good old Leigh jeans back!! Outfit details: Boots: @aldo_shoes . . . Where are your favourite jeans from? Don’t forget to Tag myself and @themuddymummy in your #myfashionfeels posts! 💋💋💋 #whatmamaworemonday #topshopstyle #topshopjeans #jeansshopping #jeans #jeansproblems #stylishmama #schoolrunstyle #denim #chelseaboots #aldoshoes #aldoboots #outfitinspo #styledbyme #realmumsofinsta #glammum #ootd #stylishboots #ankleboots #discoverunder5k #thismamawears #aldobrailsden

A post shared by Emma (@mummy.cookie.style) on

You will never be able to tear the blue Joni jeans out of the hands of British teen girls, as they all wear them with a parka and stan smiths. There is no way in hell you could get me to part with my Jamie jeans, which I believe to be the older sister, or more mature version of the Joni – less jegging, more jean. Topshop’s denim selection rivals any on the high street and I honestly do not think I know a single girl who does not own at least one pair of the brand’s skinnies. At a reasonably good price point of £40-50 (depending on the details), and with student discount of course, Topshop wins for their skinnies.

In my head when I talk about skinnies, I think mostly about black jeans but obviously a classic denim wash is also a staple. White denim is something I have never fully got on board with but particularly this autumn/winter season seems to have cropped up quite a few times both on the runway, but more specifically on the streets outside the shows. White skinnies paired with bolder, brighter hued jumpers and block coloured boots is an outfit that seems to have been favoured by a fair few bloggers lately. But white jeans also work really well with monochrome outfits; I’m picturing skinny white jeans, an oversized grey or black jumper, a black faux fur jacket, and a pair of black Chelsea boots.

However you spin it, the skinny jean remains a wardrobe staple, and let’s be real, we’re not getting rid of them any time soon.

Featured Image: Bruce Mars / Unsplash

'Have a favourite fashion essential? Let us know'