By Rosa McKay, 3rd Year, English and Drama student
The MAZI Project is helping Bristol's disadvantaged 16-25yr olds eat well but also sustainably through their recipe box scheme, how can you help?
Founded in 2021 by Melanie Vaxevanakis, The MAZI Project was established to tackle food poverty amongst the youth in Bristol’s community. The charity supports disadvantaged 16–25-year-olds living in Bristol with an evolving eligibility criterion that aims to offer their services to more and more young people. MAZI believes that everybody should have the same access to tasty food and flavours, regardless of their social background, and they have made this part of their mission. Sustainability is hugely important to the MAZI cause; they aim to use recyclable packaging and green delivery systems in addition to locally sourced food in an effort to reduce their carbon footprint.
The MAZI Mission: Meal boxes
MAZI deliver meal boxes on a weekly basis to disadvantaged young people in Bristol giving them the opportunity to try local treasures which they might not ordinarily be able to afford and connect them with their community. MAZI recognise that trying new foods and making more sustainable eating choices should not be considered a luxury.
What’s inside the MAZI meal box?
- Nutritious, fresh, locally sourced ingredients that are pre-prepared in a fruit box. These range from butter beans to butternut squash
- Up to three tasty recipes donated by Bristol chefs
- A sweet treat from local bakeries and delis for a slice of comfort
How can you help?
Fancy joining the MAZI community? The MAZI Project have suggested a few ways that you might help to spread the love…
- Volunteer on a Tuesday – you will be helping to pack and deliver MAZI boxes across Bristol
- Are you a kitchen connoisseur? MAZI are looking for chefs to run cooking classes for the young people that they support
- Visit The Mazi Project website and donate if you can. Your money will go directly to filling each young person’s box with nourishing goodies
- Spread. The. Word. Gossip travels fast! You will be instrumental in raising awareness for MAZI and helping to support disadvantaged young people in Bristol
Get in touch with The Mazi Project via their Instagram: @themaziproject and help tackle food poverty, today.