Review/ Jen Cloher @ The Grain Barge

'An evening of true solace and poignant reflection', Music Sub-Editor Guy Marcham reviews Jen Cloher at The Grain Barge

By Guy Marcham, Music Sub-Editor

An intimate evening of honest storytelling and soothing melancholy folk: Australian DIY indie singer-songwriter, Jen Cloher provides a smattering of warmth and consolation on a cold and biting Bristol winters day.

During one of Cloher's often humorous live segues, the sing-songwriter jokingly remarked about a not so secret Bristolian love of socially congregating upon moored barges. While, the infamous Thekla may instantly spring to mind, the retired industrial vessel named The Grain Barge, which permanently resides in Hotwells, is another incredibly unique venue which boasts an impeccable live music selection.

As an array of multi-coloured ribbons and glistening fairy lights dangled from the venue's ceiling and the river delicately rippled away through the portholes, the stage and mood was set for intimate evening of ethereal folk and heart rendering stories. Following the beautiful melancholic nonchalant folk of fellow Milk! Records Label mate, The Finks, Jen Cloher quickly shuffled on stage accompanied just by her trusty acoustic guitar.

While, Cloher's last tour of the U.K saw her perform with her very own backing band, accompanied by her partner and fellow Australian DIY indie icon, Courtney Barnett, on the rhythm guitar. This U.K run showcased a more intimate and insular side to Cloher's music, exposing her raw and naked song writing prowess, as well as her ability to transport an audience into a deep hushed and awe inspired silence. Cloher was somewhat spellbinding, performing an emotionally driven set with an innate sense of honesty and wisdom, as if Cloher had invited not fans but friends to see her play.

Throughout the evening, Cloher played a selection of songs off her arresting, vivid and emotionally vulnerable latest self-entitled album. Stand out tracks such as 'Regional Echo' and 'Sensory Memory' were made even more reflective and contemplative when performed solo with just Cloher's voice and effortless and tantalising fingerpicking. Older tracks such as 'David Bowie Eyes' off of Cloher's 2013 album, 'In Blood Memory', as well as 'Mothers Desk' off 2009's 'Hidden Hands', were given an extra sense of emotional weight as a result of Cloher's keenness to tell stories of the thought processes behind her song writing. The latter, was a particularly raw and tear-jerking moment, as Cloher reminisced about her mother's interest in writing before she was unfortunately diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

A particular highlight from Cloher's Bristol gig was the song, 'Fear is Like A Forest'. The track, which has since been covered by Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile on their collaborative album, Lotta Sea Lice, represented a darker and more brooding side to Cloher's music.

On that very track, Cloher sings that 'love is like a promise that you'll never be alone'. The theme of physical and emotionally distance echoed by Cloher, crops up frequently throughout her back catalogue. Yet, Cloher's live experience reflect a sense of community and family instead of physical and emotional distance. Cloher's countless witty stories and emotionally honest songs allow the audience to truly delve into her life and mind, connecting on a personal level and creating a natural musical bond. An evening of true solace and poignant reflection.

Featured Image: Guy Marcham/ Epigram

Want to write a review for Epigram Music? Get in touch...