News2023

Free bus services for Veterans during Remembrance weekend

First Bus is to offer free bus services to Veterans and the members of Armed Forces during the Remembrance weekend

By Christina Park, Third year, English

First Bus will be offering free bus rides for Veterans and UK Armed Forces personnel in West of England, Wales and Worcester areas as a token of appreciation during the Remembrance weekend.

To be eligible, passengers can wear military uniform or show the driver their service ID card on Armistice Day on Saturday November 11, and Remembrance Day Sunday on November 12. This offer will be available on all First Bus services across England, Wales, and Scotland, exempting the Airport Flyer.

The free travel offer seeks to make transportation easily accessible for customers getting to and from remembrance events and services.

The main Remembrance Day event in Bristol will be held at the Cenotaph - Milan Perera

As held annually for nearly 100 years, the National Service of Remembrance will be held at The Cenotaph on Whitehall, London which marks the anniversary to the end hostilities in 1918 to the First World War.

There will be a laying on of wreaths by the Queen, Prime Minister, leaders of  major political parties, Commonwealth High Commissioners and representatives from the Army, Navy, Royal Air Force, Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleets and Civilian Services, followed by a 2-minute silence at 11:00am. 

Within Bristol, there will be services and parades around the city on Friday, November 11 including the Armistice Day Remembrance Event at Bristol City and on Sunday, November 12 with the city falling silent on Remembrance Day (Sunday) at 11:00am.

For students, staff and alumni at the University of Bristol, a special service will be held at Dame Monica Wills Chapel, Wills Hall at 10:30am on Sunday. 

Regarding this gesture, Rob Pymm, Commercial Director for First West of England and Cymru said:  ‘Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday are important and solemn reminders of the sacrifices made by so many in our armed forces, and we want to do something to mark these occasions.

‘This is our way of saying thank you to them, as well as honouring the men and women who choose to serve and protect the freedoms we now enjoy.’

Featured image: First Bus

Will you be attending any Remembrance Day event?