Epigram Music's January Gig Roundup

Epigram Music give you the lowdown on the best gigs taking place in Bristol this January.

Photo by Justin Campbell / Unsplash

By Josh Templeman, Co-Deputy Music Editor

It’s freezing cold, deadline season is in full flow and in the hangover from Christmas we’re all skint; January is just great, isn’t it? January tends to be a slow month, but that doesn’t mean Bristol doesn’t have an exciting, albeit smaller than usual, selection of gigs to fix your new year blues.

Wallows – January 15th – O2 Academy Bristol

This month sees L.A.-based trio, Wallows, head back to Bristol as part of their huge UK tour. Last year saw the band release their highly-praised album, Tell Me That It’s Over, alongside a new single, ‘WISH ME LUCK’, released just a few weeks ago. Let Wallows welcome you into their immersive world of dreamy-synth pop and feel-good indie-rock.

The Pleasure Dome – January 17th – The Louisiana

Rowdy, raw and energetic, Bristol-based band The Pleasure Dome perform at Bristol’s legendary The Lousiana this month. At one of Bristol’s smallest, most intimate venues, this is the perfect chance to catch the up-and-coming group before they hit the big time.

**
**

Dafydd Hedd – January 19th – Exchange

Bristol University and Burst Radio’s own Dafydd Hedd heads up an exciting indie night in the main room of Exchange this January. Dafydd is known for his unique sound, which blends indie-rock alongside dance elements, and even sings in his native Welsh language, something that feels almost unheard of in music today. Also performing on the night are Iguanas, Cherry Chain and Clem. At just £6 for the ticket, this feels like a no-brainer.

Ronald Langestraat trio – January 21st – Strange Brew

The 1980s saw Ronald Langestraat take over the Amsterdam jazz scene, performing in Latin-jazz bands such as Cascada and Ritmo Natural. Under-appreciated and overlooked at the time, his solo work didn’t gather as much attention – until now. Having developed and consolidated his unique sound of psychedelic jazz and cosmic pop, expect to be fully immersed in Langestraat’s otherworldly dreamscape of sound as he takes to Bristol’s Strange Brew this January.

Kate Bollinger – January 22nd – The Louisiana

Following the release of her celebrated 2022 EP, Look At It In The Light, Charlottesville-born singer-songwriter, Kate Bollinger, takes to The Louisiana later this month. With a sound that sits somewhere between woozy bedroom pop and gentle indie-folk, Bollinger’s work is introspective, often writing of reflections on her childhood and the emotions felt as the now 24-year-old leaves it behind.

Kate Bollinger, Credit: CJ Harvey

Circa Waves – January 24th – O2 Academy Bristol

Circa Waves need little introduction. Drawing inspiration from bands like The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys, the Liverpudlian group have established themselves as an indie staple, slowly becoming one of the UK’s most influential and appreciated bands. Hitting the road in support of their latest release, Never Going Under, they perform at Bristol’s O2 Academy this January.

Sam Binga & Kreed – January 26th – The Jam Jar

In their first event of 2023, Intrinzic Presents brings Bristol boundary-pushers Sam Binga and Kreed to The Jam Jar. Covering all bases of the dance genre and seeing the debut of The Jam Jar’s new ‘holographic cube installation’, expect strictly fire selections on the dancefloor and a revolutionary evening of immersive visuals.

Epigram Music's Top 100 Songs of 2022
Plate X Playlist: Bittersweet

Lowkey – January  30th– Thekla

Introspective, passionate and forward-thinking, London-based rapper and activist Lowkey makes a long-awaited return to Bristol’s Thekla this month. His 2019 project, Soundtrack to the Struggle 2, featured an eclectic mix of features including Maverick Sabre, American intellectual Noam Chomsky and even Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle. If you like your hip-hop to be chock-full of politics and activism then this one is for you.

Featured image: Justin Campbell, Unsplash

What gigs are you excited for this month?