News2024

Bristol University alumnus co-ordinates humanitarian relief effort for Gaza

Bristol University alumnus Robert Beavis has co-ordinated a fundraising campaign for the immediate relief effort in Gaza.

By Milan PereraDeputy Editor

The University of Bristol alumnus, Robert Beavis has co-ordinated a successful fundraising campaign in aid of Medevac Frontline for the humanitarian relief efforts in Gaza.

Robert, an archaeologist by profession, is also a member of the University Road Orthodox Christian community.

The Orthodox parish of the Nativity of the Mother of God on University Road has joined forces with a sister church in Easton to send immediate humanitarian aid to the region.

Archimandrite Kyril Jenner, Priest-in-Charge of the Orthodox community on University Road is also the chaplain for the Orthodox students and staff at the University of Bristol - Milan Perera

There was a second collection at the church in aid of the cause on Forgiveness Sunday in the season of Lent.

Robert reiterated the paramount importance of urgent humanitarian aid for Gaza in a statement to Epigram:

'The answers to people’s prayers are often found in other people’s actions. I was glad to have the opportunity to help provide humanitarian assistance to the people of Gaza.'

The Orthodox church on University Road has been a home away from home for many Orthodox Christian students at the University of Bristol since its inception in 1948.

The church was founded by a group Polish exiles and has enjoyed a vibrant community of Ukrainian, Arabic, Georgian, Bulgarian, French, Greek and English speaking parishioners over the years.

The V. Rev. Archimandrite Kyril Jenner, Priest-in-Charge of the Orthodox community on University Road, is also the chaplaincy contact for the Orthodox students and staff at the University of Bristol.

The combined collection has raised £1000 in total and will go directly to the Medevac Frontline’s Gaza appeal - Milan Perera

Speaking on the significance of the fundraiser, Archimandrite Jenner said: 'Lent is a time for fasting and prayer.  As well as abstaining from certain foods we should also not only abstain from sinful acts but work positively for good. 

'When we see our brothers and sisters suffering, as in Gaza, then we must do whatever we can to relieve that suffering, using all the means that are available to us.'

The combined collection has raised £1000 in total and will go directly to the Medevac Frontline’s Gaza appeal. 

Medevac Frontline was founded by a group of paramedics employed by the Southwest Ambulance Service. Its patron is the internationally renowned explorer and mountaineer, Sir Ranulph Fiennes. 

The organisation has previously provided specialist emergency medical services in Ukraine and works with the World Health Organisation and the UK Government on their responses to emergencies. 

Over the past week, its volunteers have been training paramedics in Kosovo. In the light of the current humanitarian crisis in Gaza, it is raising the funds necessary to expand its zone of activities.

Medevac Frontline was founded by a group of paramedics employed by the Southwest Ambulance Service - Medevac Frontline

Fergus Beeley, CEO, thanked the Orthodox community for their donation, saying:

'The entire donation, which has been received with enormous gratitude, will be spent on meeting the costs (including flight, bus from Cairo to Rafah via El Arif, and medical supplies) of a consignment of medical supplies which I will personally be taking over the Rafah crossing on 20th of April.'

For the Orthodox community, the feast of Pascha (Easter) is of great significance, as they fast 40 days before the culmination of the liturgical season. It rarely coincides with the Easter of the West due to the use of the Julian calendar as opposed to the Gregorian calendar.

Archimandrite Jenner concluded: 'As well as abstaining from certain foods we should also make effort to abstain from evil actions. We should go beyond this and seek out opportunities for good actions – helping others and charitable giving.'

Featured image: Milan Perera

Bristol University offers support to anyone affected by international conflicts.

You can also contact the wellbeing teams by: