How to maximise your university experience without breaking the bank

Elena Waller-Sanchez explores the many ways to enjoy your time at university without blowing the budget.

By Elena Waller-Sanchez, Third Year, English

As the first term of the new academic year draws closer, many students may begin to worry about how to budget efficiently, especially amongst increasing rent prices and cost of living. While the idea of living on a budget may seem dull to some, there are many ways to have an enjoyable university experience without sacrificing your savings.

The drinking culture is one of the most highly anticipated aspects of the university experience, though it can be expensive, especially during freshers' week. If you want to go on nights out but worry about checking your bank balance the next day, many amazing pubs and venues around Bristol offer great deals so you won’t miss out. 

A great budget-friendly night-out spot is Steam, located near Clifton Down Station. It is a great pub with one of the largest covered and heated terraces in the city, and its affordable drinks prices make it very popular among Bristol students. Their happy hour (Mon-Thurs, 4 pm-7 pm or all night Wednesday) offers pints from £3 and house doubles from only £5 – well worth a visit if you're looking to save money on your nights out. 

Similarly, the Hope and Anchor on Jacob Wells Road is another pub popular amongst Bristol students, and for good reason. With pints as cheap as £3.50, great house ciders, and a cosy pub garden, the Hope and Anchor is a great place to meet friends on weekends or after lectures.

Eating out in Bristol can be expensive, but it’s almost an essential part of the university experience and a great way to connect with friends. Fortunately, there are plenty of affordable options, so you don’t have to worry about missing out. 

There are student discounts all around Bristol, and Parsons Bakery is one of the best examples. Located behind the Arts and Social Sciences Library, Parson’s is convenient and affordable, offering a £4.50 meal deal including a sandwich, drink, and a pastry or cake. Eat a Pitta is also a great option for a quick lunch around campus, with good food, generous portions, and a 10% student discount, it's worth a visit. 

Epigram spoke to third-year student, Matt, who said: ‘Zero Degrees is a great option if you’re looking to go out for dinner with a friend or partner’. The two main courses for £15 deal on Monday evenings make it a perfect location for an affordable meal out. 

Whether you’re a fresher or going into your final year, there are plenty of activities to discover around Bristol. For example, the £5 student cinema tickets at Watershed are a great option for a group activity or a solo date. With the average cinema trip costing close to £10, this offer is too good to pass up on. 

While group activities are enjoyable, there are times when some alone time is essential. As a student, there can often be times when you may find yourself needing to clear your head, and going on a walk around the city is often a great option. Bristol offers many scenic walking spots, but one of the best is the route through Clifton Village up to the Suspension Bridge. The walk itself is free, but for an even better view, accessing the Clifton Observatory is only £5. Alternatively, Cabot Tower on Brandon Hill is completely free and offers one of the best views of the city.

Another great option if you’re looking for a relaxing activity is the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery. Located next to the Wills Memorial Building and completely free to enter, this is a great place to meet up with friends or unwind alone after a long day of lectures. 

For some, an ideal way to unwind might include browsing around Bristol’s various retail shops – although this can quickly become a rather expensive pastime. If you’re a book-lover and looking to save some money, visiting the Last Bookshop on Park Street – where all books are £5 or less – is a must. Alternatively, if you’re looking to affordably expand your wardrobe, check out the assortment of charity shops dotted along Whiteladies Road and Cotham Hill.

How does Bristol support refugees and asylum seekers?
'I didn't know what to do or who I could reach out to' | How students deal with legal issues

Despite its reputation as an expensive city to live in, Bristol has a lot to offer for those looking to explore it without breaking the bank. With these tips in mind, you can make the most of the upcoming academic year without dipping into your overdraft. For more information on student discounts and deals, check out UNiDAYS and Student Beans to start saving today!

Featured Image: Epigram / Daisy Yates

What is your favourite budget-friendly spot in Bristol?