Anti-Abortion Protesters Clash with Bristol Students Outside of Beacon House

Source: Epigram

'It just felt like they wanted to have a go at you': students clash with anti-abortion protesters on campus outside of study centre

By Beatrice Learmouth, News Deputy-Editor, and Josie Hodgson, News Co-Editor

In the early afternoon on Friday 18th October, a group of three pro-life campaigners sparked heated reactions from students outside Bristol University building Beacon House on Queen’s Avenue. The protesters, one of whom was holding a sign that read ‘Truth Matters", ‘Abortion is murder: You shall not murder’ and "Change My Mind,’ challenged students passing by as they were entering and leaving Beacon House. 

The protesters were part of the ‘Spirit for Life Reformed Baptist Church’, and claimed that they were there as they ‘believe in the authority of God’s word.'

The group, led by controversial street preacher Dia Moodley, previously held a protest in March last year outside of Beacon House where Moodley was arrested for common assault after he pushed a woman. However, speaking to Epigram, Moodley claimed:

‘One of the students assaulted me and broke my finger. I’m taking the University and the police to Court, but I’m not doing this out of revenge. I want to have some assurance that people at the University are able to think freely.'

Multiple students took issue with the Moodley's conduct in particular within the group, describing how his challenge to ‘Change My Mind’ on his sign was misleading and contradictory, and that the protest was not driven simply by a desire to encourage free-thinking amongst the student body.

‘His sign says ‘Change My Mind’, but he’s trying to change other people’s minds, and is acting as if he is in the right.’ said Izzy, First Year Sociology student.

Similarly, Saskia, Third Year History student, who stopped to confront the protestors as she was passing by, told Epigram that their intention was not to discuss abortion, but to intimidate students.

‘I’m really angry … he’s standing outside of a student building and promoting these ridiculous absurd views … you don’t get pro-choice people standing outside doing this.

‘University students are sexually active, and therefore some will inevitably have had experiences that are terrible and may have required abortions. This could potentially trigger a lot of women, and that’s simply not fair. Imagine wanting to go and study, and then being put into a bad mental health space by this guy,’ she said.

In response to this, Moodley claimed:

‘If we ever saw any of the women or men upset by the situation, we would step down. We are Christians, we don’t want to disturb the peace.'

A First Year Sociology student, who wishes to remain anonymous, observed that Moodley kept interrupting the people who were trying to talk to him. He admitted that he was trying to change people’s minds, but claimed that he was open to reflecting upon his own opinions. 

However, Charlotte, First Year Law student, didn't believe that the protesters were ready to listen to students' views. 'They’re not receptive in any way, shape or form. It just felt like they wanted to have a go at you.' 

For many students who stopped to watch, particularly female students, the sight of a male protester delivering speeches regarding women’s reproductive rights was patronising. Meghan, a First Year Economics and Management student, explained that she doesn’t normally involve herself in political confrontations, but explained that ‘this is something I felt I had to get involved in … especially when it’s a man standing up there saying stuff about a woman’s body.’

Alongside the emotional distress that the protest caused, the campaigners' presence also stirred unease over privacy concerns, as multiple students reported that they were being filmed without consent.

The group stated that they were filming for their ‘own safety', having 'previously been assaulted', and 'the safety of those who are talking to us.'

Moodley was fined £150 for his actions by the Council, but said the City Councillor ‘couldn’t say what law I was breaking.'

The protest comes as UK universities are seeing an increasing number of anti-abortion societies on campus and activists targeting students, as the debate surrounding freedom of speech at universities continues. At the University of Manchester in March this year, disputes between pro-life activists and students led to a violent altercation, prompting the police to intervene.