First in-person graduation to be held at Bristol University since 2020

On Friday 8 April the University of Bristol will hold its first in-person graduation ceremony since February 2020 at Wills Memorial Building.

By Holly Beaumont, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Friday 8 April the University of Bristol will hold its first in-person graduation ceremony since February 2020.

The graduation ceremonies will be held at Wills Memorial Building and will take place over five working days, between Friday 8 April and Thursday 14 April.

They will see 4500 students have their graduations conferred, after their ceremonies were postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Flickr | University of Bristol

This group of graduating students will be wearing mortar boards for the first time at a University of Bristol graduation since the 1960's.

Mortar boards used to be a part of the graduation dress at Bristol and are expected to remain a part of the graduation regalia for the foreseeable future.

The University of Bristol's Vice-Chancellor, Professor Hugh Brady said, “Graduation is the focal point of the University of Bristol calendar and a chance for students and staff to celebrate their considerable achievements.

“Many of those graduating left us during the pandemic, and I am truly thankful that we have this chance to see them again in person, and to congratulate them on their nous, tenacity and aptitude.”

The university will be handing out five honorary degrees to recognise individuals who have outstanding achievements. Included in this group, is Dr Sarah Fane OBE who will be receiving her award in the same ceremony as her daughter.

Dr Fane is receiving her honourary degree because of the work she has done in Afghanistan, helping around 500,000 children. She has been helping out around Afghanistan on-and-off for three decades, including delivering babies on mountains disguised as a man.

Dr Fane is joined by four others: Tony Macdonald, Gordon Richardson, Dennis Burn, and Sheila Rowbotham, to be recognised by Bristol University for their outstanding achievements.

There will be 15 ceremonies in total, with three taking place each day.

Featured Image: Epigram / Canva

Will you be attending your graduation ceremony this year?