Bristol Uni is now the third most targeted university by top employers

Graduates from the University of Bristol are some of the most sought after in the country, according to the ‘Graduate Market in 2022’ report.

By Jess Millson, Co-Deputy News Editor

In a survey of 100 of the most successful organisations in the UK, the High Fliers 'Graduate Market in 2022' report has found Bristol graduates to be the third most targeted by top employers.

The ten universities most targeted for graduate roles in 2021 to 2022 are: Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Warwick, Cambridge, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Oxford.

The ‘top employers’ are a list of 100 firms compiled by the Times newspaper. They include IBM, MI5, AstraZeneca, HSBC, Unilever, the Army, the BBC, Jaguar Land Rover and the Bank of England.

The ‘Graduate Market’ report claims that, due to online recruitment following the Coronavirus pandemic, employers no longer target specific universities and instead scout the highest achieving graduates from more institutions.

Each year around 350 employers come to Bristol’s campus to recruit students and share skills. Bristol had previously placed seventh in 2021 findings and has continued to rise during the pandemic.

Since moving recruitment online, the ‘Graduate Market’ report found that student engagement with graduate recruitment activities was worse than usual.

The report states: ‘Feedback about universities’ virtual careers fairs was very mixed, with up to two-fifths of employers who participated in them describing the events as “not very successful”.’

Professor Tansy Jessop, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Education at the University of Bristol, said: ‘It is hugely inspiring to read that employers are noticing what we have always known: that Bristol students are fantastic.

‘We are proud that our students leave us with the knowledge, skills and attitude they need to take on the world. We are also proud of the excellent teaching that builds this firm foundation, and our superb Careers Service which nurtures their talents.’

The University Careers Service provides students with support for internships and jobs as well as funding for new businesses or research.

Stuart Johnson, Director of the Careers Service, said: ‘This report is confirmation of the value of a Bristol degree to top companies and further proof that being a Bristol graduate is an excellent start to a career.’

Bristol has ranked above universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham and Exeter, despite ranking below them on The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

Featured Image: The University of Bristol

The University of Bristol Careers Service can be accessed here.